Chapter 25

Elias

"When will you have kids, dear?"

Enid chokes on her drink as my aunt is waiting for her answer. I try to stifle a laugh as Enid scrambles to think of an answer.

"I actually don't want kids," she says quietly. My aunt's face drops from that lovely approaching smile she had on before to now what is a disgusted face, full of hatred.

"You'd better use that body while it's still young and fresh and grant a son for your husband. Who knows what would happen if a girl was born?" Her nose is scrunched and her eyes are narrowed and spoke with absolute disgust in her voice.

Before I could speak, Enid cuts me off. "Are you not a woman yourself?"

My aunt just walks away and is now, most likely, going to tell everyone about how she was disrespected by Enid. I know she'll twist the story around as much as she wants until it's of her liking.

But who cares, am I right? She had no right to just put all that son and daughter talk on Enid's shoulders. She doesn't need this kind of thing right now.

As I turn to Enid, I see her looking forward. I follow her gaze and it lands on my older brother. He smiles at the two of us before standing in between us, putting his hands on both of our shoulders.

My jaw clenches as I see his hand sliding down to Enid's back, she flinches slightly at his touch. I quickly push my brother out the way before he does anything he'll soon regret and stay by her side.

My hand rests on her waist as Silas sends us a calculating look, as if to process what just happened. But, nevertheless, stands beside me and walks with us, talking about something that I just tune out.

It takes me a few seconds to realise that the ballroom dancing had begun. I stand with Enid as we begin to spin all around with her in my arms, her dress twirling around with her.

I've never been more happier, with her in my arms. It's us against the world.

It was time to switch partners but I don't let anyone get near us, pushing away anyone trying to be partners with Enid or I. I don't want anyone taking me away from her.

We continue to dance the next half an hour. She starts to laugh, her laugh makes butterflies in my stomach. "What's so funny?" I ask.

"Nothing, I just realised I hadn't laughed like that in a while so I thought I would try to laugh to uplift my mood. I was right, it's fun to laugh." She laughs again.

"You're right. You should laugh more, I like the sound of it." She turns red and pink all over her cheeks and looks away as we continue to dance.

Once the dance was finished, we decide to go on a walk all over the Palace. I wanted to show her something.

We walk over to the back garden and she stops in her place as we step ino the garden. There was flowers all over the place: tulips, dandelions, daffodils, lavenders, and many more. I had planted all these flowers ever since I had decided to get married to Enid, I wanted to bring her here one day to show it to her.

She's not saying anything. Does she not like it?

"How did you know I liked flowers?" She says quietly, barely a whisper escaping her lips. I just smile at her as she crouches over and touches a tulip.

"But you like it, right?" I ask while biting my bottom lip.

She laughs but it's not full of humour. It's more of a surprised laugh. "Are you kidding me? Who wouldn't like this? It's beautiful."