The Brother

Nico's POV

He knew what had happened to Will's powers. Overnight, Nico had subconsciously consumed a portion of Will's power because Will carried little murk to offer, leaving him defenseless.

I can't control it anymore.

The amount of monsters around camp only worsened his trepidation. Nyx must have known that he could draw darkness from monsters and sent them as back up when Apollo came to visit.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw something shift. Something ugly that shone as dark as Nyx's palace. The creatures buzzed, their mandibles clunking.

How did they leave Tartarus?

Nico had a guess, but it was too horrible to entertain.

He could hear the whispers of souls coming from the beetles–that must be what they are. It reminded him of the stray ones found in the Phlegethon, their voices crying out to him. It was no longer just a guess–these two were Cameron and Owen.

The hunger in his stomach that was never satisfied echoed through his abdomen. After collapsing to the floor out of pure terror, he realized that his vision was swarming in inky black.

You can't ignore the hunger any longer.

Either you satiate it, or it'll feed on the ones around you.

"I'm so sorry," Nico pleaded to the two bugs. Their splayed bodies kept reappearing in the back of his mind. He picked them both up in his hand, their bodies like stones in his palm. Without a second thought, his hand came to his mouth.

Nico curled on the floor, his head hitting the wood floor hard, causing the room to spin.

He continued to repeat apologies after swallowing, the pain in his stomach dulling. Scenes replayed in his head that weren't his.

~

"Owen, Rhea asked to see you. She's near the Arena"

"I'll go over," Owen replied, setting down his bag and walking across the pavilion. There, a small girl, no older than seven with frizzy hair in a single braid was sobbing, holding something in her arms.

When Owen caught sight of her, he immediately rushed over, bending over and checking her for any injuries.

"Are you okay?" he asked, holding her shoulders as tears ran down from her chestnut eyes.

"I–I didn't mean to hurt it. I just got scared and–I kicked it away. I'm so horrible; I'm always hurting things." She fell into another choking fit of crying. It was obvious now that what she held in her arm was a young possum.

"Rhea. You didn't mean to. You're the kindest girl I've ever met. One day, you'll use your strength to protect everyone–even me," he reassured her, using his thumb to wipe her cheeks. "Let's ask the nymphs around here for help." He grabbed her by the waist, picking her up swiftly as if he'd done it many times before.

"Clarisse told me you were leaving to go to college. I wish you would stay here," she said softly into his shoulder.

"I won't be away for very long. I promise I'll visit so often that you'll never even realize that I've left!" he promised.

Owen laughed softly and, even though she was miserable, Rhea smiled at the sound. 

~

When the memories finished running through his brain, Nico felt sickened. He remembered Rhea, too. She had been the one to wail and scream at the burial.

When his eyes grew tired and worn, he clambered from the ground, wiping his bloodshot eyes.

Tomorrow is the winter solstice. I can't stall any longer.

He needed to shadow travel if any of this was going to come to an end.

The shadows around him swirled and danced along the walls and floor. Nico reached out and pulled, melting into them.

Just as quickly as he felt himself enter the pool of darkness, he exited, and he arrived... back in his cabin?

"No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no."

Nico tried once again, tugging at the shadows like he'd done for so long.

They didn't respond.

"Nyx. Please don't do this."

"Mio caro, è troppo tardi." (My dear, it is too late.) Her voice was as lucid and soft as his mother's, but he could hear the vindiction in her voice.

If I can't redirect this then... Nico covered his mouth with his hand, choking back tears.

He would have to confront Apollo, the entirety of camp as collateral.