The Storm

Nico's POV

Even though Nico hadn't eaten in forever, he could barely bring himself to stomach anything at the dining pavilion. Everything reminded him of the beetles crawling down his throat. When Will slid a plate his way, he tried his best to place a couple pieces in his mouth, chewing each piece as many times as he could before swallowing.

Kayla's question caught him off guard. When she mentioned the trip he'd proposed to Will before the quest, his heart ached. It was the dull reminders of what could have been that tended to hurt the most. He remembered how excited Will had been about going, but it was reassuring to think that Will would probably end up going anyways without him.

Will looked as bright as ever in the sun, his blond hair messy like that of a golden retriever's. Every time Nico looked at him, though, all he could see was his pale, dying face. Will, too, seemed to be constantly watching him, barely responding when Kayla addressed him.

He would be forever thankful to Reyna who decided to cut into their conversation, asking Nico to join her for a couple minutes.

From one hell to the next. Story of my life.

Reyna looked slightly different than the last time he'd seen her. Her skin was darker and her hair was cut shorter, held in a ponytail with a few stray strands escaping near her ears. She led him further behind the Artemis cabin, beckoning him to come closer.

"Don't ever do that again!" She looked as if she might throttle him, but she'd have to wait in line.

"Reyna... how I've missed your scolding." Nico muttered.

He had missed her a lot, but he wasn't willing to admit it to her.

"Don't give me that crap, Nico. What the fuck was that back in the woods? What were you running from?" She was blunt, but Nico heard the worry behind her voice. A couple of campers stopped to see what was happening but, when she glared at them, they scampered off, heads bowed.

Nico bent towards her, grimacing from the effort. "Keep your voice down. I don't want Will hearing any of this. Look... I wasn't being chased the night I ran into you. I had just returned from a quest; it was nothing much, I just got myself into a stupid situation. I was at the border of camp to get my things and leave, and I was hoping I wouldn't have to see Will, so I tried entering from the back of my cabin."

"Why?" Reyna did, in fact, not lower her voice. "I... really thought things were going well this time." 

"Reyna. I know you felt it too, don't lie–I heard you in the infirmary. I can't stay here for very long..."

Her face drooped, in a disappointed manner that made Nico feel slightly guilty.

Nico drew close to her, and he felt her grow uncomfortable from the darkness that seemed to follow him, but he nonetheless brought his mouth close to her ear and whispered, "Can you promise me something?"

Reyna nodded slowly, but didn't hesitate.

"Whatever happens, you'll save Will–whatever the cost. Swear it, I'm begging you as a friend, but also because you're the only one I can trust."

Even if it means killing me.

Reyna laughed for the first time since they'd encountered one another. "Nico. You're such an open book sometimes. I swear on the River Styx I'll do just that." Her tone became more serious. "When you do leave, you'll be fine on your own... right?"

"I'll be perfectly fine. Now stop nagging me," Nico groaned, but her worry warmed his chest.

Reyna hugged him.