The Warmth

Will's POV

Will felt the flicker of light in his chest dull and waver and knew he could no longer keep it lit. Everything around him felt dull once the light lost the fuel that kept it alive, leaving Will alone in the vastness of his mind as a clamor of muted echoes seeped from the world outside.

This is when it bites.

Right...?

Or were Annabeth and Frank able to restrain Nico?

That has to be it.

Everything's okay now.

We are going to be okay from now on.

We'll go to Italy after this. He needs a break from camp, after all. 

Maybe I can take him to see my home as well.

I wonder why he left his sword with me.... Maybe I interpreted the situation wrong, and he intended for me to save him.

This is finally over.

We're safe now, Nico.

However, Will remained reluctant to open his eyes.

"Nico?" Will murmured haphazardly, his arm still outstretched towards the shapeless being that towered over him. 

When he felt its breath alongside his neck, he recoiled slightly, pulling his hand back as if he'd burned it, his eyes shooting open.

Will's blood ran cold when he came face-to-face with a monster whose obsidian eyes were dilated, giving the impression that it had gone mad.

The same words reverberated through his mind.

You're my monster, Nico.

You're my monster.

Inches from the bridge of his nose, the maw of the creature stretched agape, revealing streams of inky liquid that hung from its gums like saliva. Its throat reminded Will of the chasms of Tartarus--infinitely vast and forsaken

Although Reyna had already pulled her hands away from his shoulder blades, he felt her shift uncomfortably from behind him, placing a hand on the hilt of Nico's sword, retracting the blade halfway.

Don't attack. 

It was only when the creature's eyes snapped away from Reyna towards Will, leaning forward to the point where its teeth were practically touching him, that she pulled the stygian sword out completely.

"I'M SORRY!" It wasn't Will's voice; rather, the scream erupted beside his ears from Reyna.