The Calm Before The Storm

Will's POV

Will would be lying if he didn't say he wanted to yell at Nico. He wanted Nico to be angrier-–to hate him for being so useless and leaving him down there.

Why wouldn't he blame him for everything when it was clearly his fault.

It felt like a sucker punch to the stomach when Nico thanked him. Almost like he was being mocked.

Nico looked offset, and Will felt the exact same. How were they supposed to get over this?

Hey Neeks, I'm sorry you were in hell being tortured and all, but do you want to go on a date and talk about our feelings? Wanna hold hands while we think about you pushing me off a cliff?

Not to mention, something felt different about Nico. He felt raw, and he was lacking the light-hearted sarcasm he usually used when he didn't want to talk about something.

 Instead, he barely said anything at all.

It wasn't just that, either; he felt like he was back in Tartarus when monsters were popping up left and right. It was the constant fear of danger that kept gnawing at his brain.

How could he be in danger if Nico was right here, sword and everything?

He hadn't left the infirmary in the last six days and, every night, his dreams became more and more lifelike, to the point where he could make out most of the monster that haunted his dreams.

It had the body of a large mutt that had had most of its flesh removed, some of its bones visible from the murk that dripped from its flesh. Its gait was noiseless other than the screams that emanated from its body and the pool of night that surrounded it, sometimes reaching for Will. Its muzzle was long and its teeth were much larger than your average dog's, with glistening canines that continuously found their place in his throat.

But, compared to its sable eyes, its other features were rather insignificant. They seemed to haunt him everywhere now, especially in Nico's gaze.

Another thing we can discuss while gazing romantically into each others' eyes!

Will accompanied Nico down the hill to the dining pavilion for breakfast, his stomach rumbling. He couldn't help but steal a few glances at Nico who had changed so much in the past month. He was gaunt and his hair was longer, the longest parts reaching his shoulder and his bangs well close to the tip of his nose. Reyna had come in and brushed it the day before, bringing with her a change of clothes for Nico.

His elbow bones were visible due to how much skinnier he'd gotten, his cheeks sullen as well. Nico's face had mostly healed, but it was still bruised deep purple around the right part of his jaw and near his right eye, not to mention the jagged scar along his eye and cheek, like a fissure on a once-smooth surface.

He seemed to be preoccupied in his own thoughts, sometimes frowning at the ground. When they made it, Austin and Kayla scooted over, making space for the two of them.

If Kayla was good at anything, it was talking. There was never an awkward conversation with her around.

The wood nymphs dropped off plates of eggs and bacon, as well as toast and a few different spreads.

Nico reached for the ambrosia he'd shoved in his pocket before leaving the infirmary and nibbled it. Other than that, his plate remained bare.

Even though he wasn't sure how their relationship stood, Will couldn't sit and watch him eat nothing, spreading butter on a piece of bread and placing it on Nico's plate, to which Austin raised his eyebrows.

"How come you didn't make me one!" Austin joked, but Kayla slapped his head.

"Anyways... Nico, you're looking... better. What are you planning on doing once you're out of Will's prison? Are you still visiting Camp Jupiter with Will?" Will was glad when Kayla refrained from mentioning Hazel.

Nico had been picking at the piece of bread, sometimes placing a piece in his mouth. Before he could respond, Reyna tapped him on the shoulder and asked Will if she could borrow him. Will wasn't opposed to the idea, but still hesitated.

What does she know?