The Sunrise

Will's POV

Will groaned, his eyes teary and the morning light barely peeking from the window yet. The dreams were becoming all TOO real now.

What does it mean?

Nico churned, but didn't awake, looking disgruntled even in his sleep. Somehow, he'd ended up under Will's arm during the night. His nose was slightly scrunched and he was curled up into a tight ball.

He really must have been cold.

Will got up carefully as not to wake him, making sure to cover Nico with the covers.

What Reyna had told him the night before had rattled him. He coudn't say that she was wrong, though, to assume that Will was trying to remedy a situation without accepting that maybe things had to be different. 

At least now he finally had an idea of how to remove one of Nico's biggest stressors–the monsters. This couldn't keep happening, and Nico couldn't keep blaming himself for not being able to save everyone. Will had a feeling that Nico hadn't said anything about the Ares kids because he had most likely come too late to help and felt guilty.

Apollo, please don't leave us hanging. I need you.

The youngest of their cabin, a little girl named Sunny (both an ironic and basic name) woke up with the morning light, others shortly following suit. His cabinmates were considerate of their guest, keeping the lights off.

While Will organized his items and placed his equipment in his bag, his eyes redirecting often towards Nico who stirred. His hair really had grown longer, reaching out and covering his pillow.

"Will," Sunny murmured, rubbing her eyes. "I can't find my brush. Can you give me a little glow... pleaseeeeee."

"No problem," Will reassured her, reaching out his hand towards her wardrobe without a second thought.

When she didn't move to grab her brush, Will turned to her, confused.

It's not working.

I'm not glowing.

"Sorry, I'm having trouble right now. You can borrow my globe, though," he told her, nervously staring at his hand.

This has to be a bad sign. I'll have to ask Nico when he wakes up. Do powers glitch?

"Thanks Will. You're so cool; Nico told us how brave you are! He said that whenever he's a coward, you always save everyone," she replied with eyes filled with awe.

"Huh."

This was psychological torture.

Me, saving anyone? 

As if.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sir. Can you talk to my dead dog?"

"Chloe, don't ask people things like that!" Will chided, grabbing her by the shoulders and redirecting her away from Nico who had woken up. Austin, whose bed was across from his, raised his eyebrow, seeing Nico in Will's bed.

Nico picked up his backpack, obviously trying to slither away from Will's many siblings.

"You." Will pointed to Nico, the boy stopping in his tracks. "We need to talk."

"Can't even change out of my pajamas these days," Nico groaned, following Will out of the cabin.

When they were well out of earshot, Will came close to Nico, arms extended, causing Nico to shrink back, confused.

"It's not working," Will whispered.

"Solace... what the fuck are you on about?" Nico asked, exasperated, looking drowsy.

He had been a grumpy morning person for as long as Will had known him.

"My powers," Will clarified, clenching his hands as if to emphasize that nothing was happening.

Nico's eyes widened, and his face paled.

What's wrong.

"Neeks, you're kind of worrying me." The nickname had just escaped his mouth unconsciously.

"Will, trust me. Your powers are going to come back... I think. Just keep your distance. I shouldn't have agreed to stay at your cabin, and I shouldn't have led you on," Nico insisted, slinking back.

Not again. Why won't you stay?

"Nico. I'm sorry for leaving you with Nyx back in... Tartarus. I should have said so sooner, I just felt so guilty. It was all my fault, so I understand why you're mad, but please don't do this again. I can't lose you twice," Will pleaded, completely forgetting about his powers.

Nico wasn't leaving him again. He didn't care how selfish it was.

"Will. I made a decision. What happened in Tartarus with Nyx? None of that was your fault, but I need you to understand that I'm not the person you liked..."

"Loved," Will added defiantly.

"He wasn't real. Believe me, I-I really wanted it to work out. You gave me a place that I didn't deserve nor belong in, and I will always hate that I allowed it to go on for so long. I understand that you're hellbent on saving me, but I need to do this by myself."

Please don't go.

Nico stepped back, his body shivering, perhaps because of the breeze, heading towards his cabin. Will hadn't noticed before, but the shadows that climbed towards Will seemed to be fluctuating, as if something were trying to keep them at bay.