The Goodbye

Will's POV

Nico was worrying him or, at least, more than usual.

For some reason, he had been staring straight at Will's face for a long while now, his eyes eerily perceptive and rather ominous; however, Will couldn't bring himself to complain, glad that the short-tempered boy had finally opened up.

What were you talking bout with Percy that caused you to be so intent on me staying here?

Lost in thought, he was shocked when Nico flinched, the sound of a bell ringing like a low bellow, thrumming once, twice, three, four, and finally a fifth time. Honestly, he'd completely forgotten that Apollo would be arriving any second now.

I need to speak to Apollo before he leaves. He needs to fix what he and Hades have done.

With each clang, though, Nico clenched his hand as if the sound was causing him distress. It only made it all the more terrifying when Nico stood up on the fifth bell, tearing his hand from Will's.

"Ni–" Will began, but hesitated when he realized that Nico, who remained distant and cold usually, looked as if he were about to cry, his eyes wide in terror, reminding Will of a young child.

Nico continued to veer off, pulling at the necklace around his throat and muttering to himself. Quickly, Will rose up to follow.

When he caught up, Nico was in a secluded part of the shopping area, between two stores that had closed for the "holiday". Reaching out for his shoulder, Will recoiled as if he'd been burned.

It's here. Nico must know it's here, too.

He turned, his back facing Nico to search the area for the dog-like creature that he sensed. It was real, he knew it had to be, his heart rattling throughout his chest so loudly he feared the beast might hear it and know of his trepidation.

Where are you?

"You need to go back towards the dorms, Will," Nico instructed still facing away from Will when he remained frozen in place like a cornered animal.

"I'm not leaving you here. Something is wrong," Will replied, tugging at Nico's shirt anxiously, even contemplating picking Nico up and fleeing.

When the murk grew so strong that he could smell the pungent aroma of ammonia in the air--the smell of death--he broke the silence, now pleading. "We're in danger, so let's get out of here... NICO!" His grip was no longer gentle, instead heaving Nico towards him, causing Nico to stumble, their eyes finally meeting one another.

The eyes that stared back at him were the eyes of a starving animal, dilated and so dark he could see his distorted face in their reflection. 

Will had been scared  many times before, but the chill that ran up his spine, leaving him shell shocked, was beyond understanding, as if he were staring down into the chasms of Tartarus once again instead of the eyes of a boy he felt endearment for.

"You're in danger. You realize it now, don't you?" Nico spoke, his voice uncanny, like nails on a chalkboard. Will released the article of clothing, shivering violently, his chest contracting for air as if the urine-like smell in the air were choking him.

"You're... my monster," Will murmured in a trance-like state, too stupefied to form a comprehensible sentence. Nico remained silent, but smiled weakly, his lips trembling. The inky shadows consumed the ground below Will, climbing the buildings and curling around his ankles, filling his surroundings as if there were a bottle of ink toppled on a canvas.

Though his face remained stoic, Will could see the dread in Nico's expression, tears welling around his eyes were consumed quickly by the night.

"Goodbye, Will." 

With that, Nico kneeled down to Will's face, their faces growing close. Will smiled when Nico met eyes with him, hoping like he had in Tartarus that Nico would snap out of it, but Nico pulled his sword from his scabbard, laying it in front of Will like an offering. This time, he turned away for the last time, leaving Will trapped in the darkness, like a rodent caught in a glue trap.

"PLEASE! DON'T WALK AWAY! I–I–"

What can I do? Help him?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Will clenched the stygian iron sword at his feet, slicing through the shadows in a process so grudgingly slow that he feared he might not be able to cut fast enough before they regenerated, sweat accumulating on his skin and the strong gas making it increasingly hard to inhale.

What's happening? What am I supposed to do? 

...Don't leave me here alone.