丅ᕼᗴ S丅ᗩIN

I peeled open my eyes with hazy breaths. For a second, nothing felt real, and I was dazed.

After a few blinks, I felt the tingle at the back of my throat as I coughed to get rid of it. Everything smelt like smoke, and my body wouldn't move.

I was lying there for what felt like hours before I finally worked up enough of a conscience to try and sit up.

I pushed up on my shaking elbows as a ping of pain shot through my upper body. But everything else was numb. I soon found out why. Looking down, I noticed the large slab of stone crushing the lower half of my body.

I just sat, breathing heavily, my head still spinning. Eventually, I was able to push myself into an upright position. I was in and surrounded by a small mound of rubble, far away from the main mass of the building.

I tried to speak, but my throat only let out a painful hoarse whisper.

I remembered reading a magazine in a few years back. "How to alert search and rescue teams to your location in an earthquake."

So I picked up one of the smaller rocks from beside me and started knocking it against the stone every five seconds, making a loud clacking noise.

I just hoped there would be someone around to hear it.

⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•═┈∘*◦○◦*∘┈═•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺

After a while, the day had turned to night, and all of my energy was gone, the tapping slowing to a stop.

I could hear the chatter of people as it echoed through the streets.

"Ann?" I croaked out. "Ann?"

The voices got closer and became clearer. "She's supposed to be around here somewhere?"

"That's what we were told." Another voice replied.

"How could anyone survive this wreck." Another one.

I used all my strength to move myself over to a hole in between the slabs of concrete. Looking through, I saw two boys and a girl. They were sorting through the main mass of rubble, chucking rocks aside.

The boy shrugged. "She did."

I looked for my rock again, only to find it out of my reach.

"Is this her?" I looked back through the hole to see a charred leg poking out from underneath a boulder.

I looked back to the people as something reflected into my eye, blinding me for a second, thats when i noticed they all wore the same metal thing wrapped around their wrists. I wondered what its purpose was. It didn't seem like the kind of think to be a friendship bracelet, but I wasn't gonna judge.

They worked together, lifting it off the person, Only then could I see it was the schoolgirl.

It was hard to look at, her body burnt and disfigured. I knew they were dead, but something about not being able to see it left me with the smaller bit of hope that I could convince myself they were fine.

"I think so. She matches the description." The girl replied. Kicking the body so it rolled down the mount to the floor only a few feet away from me. They all seemed so...

so numb to it.

One of the boys jumped down, crouching beside the girl as he lifted her skirt.

"What are you doing?" The girl halted, looking back at the man.

"Just seeing if she could still be useful." He snickered to himself.

"Come on! We have to get back to the beach. Stop dawdling." The other man yelled.

The man sighed, standing up from his position. "She's dead. It's not like she'll mind." He laughed. "Not like she could do anything about it anyway." He ran after the other two.

As they walked away, their noise faded until it was just like before.

That's when I looked back to my hand, I hadn't even realised I was grasping the rock.
But I hadn't tapped it.
I hadn't dared tapped it.

Was this what society had come to? If so, it scared me.

I pushed the rock away. I had gained my senses and was no longer dizzy and dazed. I had to get out, and I couldn't rely on others to save me.

I tried to feel my feet, but I couldn't tell if I was moving or not. The only way I could think of was just pulling and hoping for the best.

So I secured my hands under the edge of the slab and pushed up, I felt blood rush to my legs as they pricked with pain. But I continued to pull them forward. I could see they were moving, so they weren't broken, at least, not completely.

It took three tries to fully get them out as I hissed in pain, collapsing back onto the stone behind me.

I ran my hands down my legs, feeling along them to see if they were still numb, which they weren't.

Every part of my body seemed to scream at me in pain. But I couldn't stand staying in this ditch any longer as I hoisted myself up the side, staining the rocks with my blood as I did.

My movement definitely wasn't a walk. It was more like an uneven hobble, but all that mattered to me was that I was moving.

Only then did I see the full extent of the collapsed building. It looked surreal. The buildings on either side of it stood as if it never happened. No cracks or dents, nothing.

And yet the building was in pieces, discarded along the width of the street. And right there, in the middle, in plain sight, was a small white table.

I climbed down the pile and walked over to it. It was empty, nothing placed upon it, nothing underneath, just a table? It was strange.

I looked back, kneeling beside the girl who was still on the ground. Using my fingers, I pushed down the eyelids on her open eyes. Now, she was merely sleeping.

I was scared for her. That someone may come across her body and do something. So I stood behind her, wrapping my arms under her shoulders. Pulling her up and supporting her with my own body.

I looked around. I could hide her amongst the rubble, but that hardly seemed nice. Plus, i probably wouldn't have the strength for it. I spotted an overgrown rosebush nearby, beside the building opposite the now crumbled hospital.

Pulling her over, I carefully lifed her, placing her body amongst the thorns. She seemed no older than 16, but that wouldn't stop people.

Just looking at her, it made me even more confused. I had played the game, and yet... i was still so lost. 'What was this?' 'What was it for?' 'Why?' 'How?' But even then, I knew most of my questions would go unanswered.

I got to my feet, turning back towards the rubble. Besides the mess, lay an untouched phone. Picking it up, it turned on with face ID once again, I examined the phone, and it had no scratches, no dents, as if it was unbreakable.

I pressed the button 'Visa'. Ann had explained that it was the number of days before i had to participate in another game. It now showed a 4. 'What happens if I don't?' 'What if i refused to play?' But something told me I didn't wanna find out.

I pocketed the phone, sighing. It was freezing, and i could see my breath in front of my face. If i wanted to survive, i needed to learn to adapt, and that started with clothing.

I wandered down the deserted, overgrown streets. Towards the large clothing shops i knew of in the heart of Shibuya. But it didn't feel unsettling or scary, just... sad.

It didn't feel the same as it had before, and something told me that it never would again.

⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•═┈∘*◦○◦*∘┈═•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺

~ 1313 Words.