丅ᕼE ᗷᗝᑌND.

"The Borderlands? What the hell are the borderlands!?" She yelled, following the group like an inexperienced runt, still trying to make sense of all of it.

"Ah, you must be a Kit." The schoolgirl replied, looking back slightly shocked at Y/n before smiling, using the rail to pull herself up.

"A kit? What? what's that? Why do you look so shocked?" She questioned as the fire had melted through the door and started spreading up the stairs. As if it was following them, as if it was conscious.

"Sorry, I just didn't expect it, yknow with your moves back there." She continued.

"My moves?"

"Yknow, when you pushed that lady out of the way of the fire, as if you knew what was gonna happen. And when you grabbed that extinguisher.
Most kits are hesitant for stuff like that." She explained as they all rushed up the stairs.

Y/n counted 12 floors, 12 doors to go through, and the top of them must be a door to the rooftop.

A rumbling sound echoed up the well as everyone slowed to a stop. They all looked down, noticing the pebbles below foot start to jump and bounce.

Suddenly, cracks started to break from the ground up the walls, and the stairs started to crumble from the bottom up.

"God, why can't it ever be easy!" The schoolgirl yelped.

Immediately, the group started to rush up the stairs, stumbling and falling as they clumsily pulled themselves up, the lady with the sunglasses at the front.

Y/n almost fell as the stairs beneath her crumbled, and everyone ran for the nearest floors door, slamming it open and tumbling inside.

Everyone except the lady with the sunglasses, she hadn't jumped. She had kept going. Since she was at the front, she had a few extra seconds before the stairs below her fell.

Without the rest of them in front of her, Y/n got to the door, yet she had decided to risk it, to follow the sunglasses girl. The girl got to the door, getting inside with time to spare.

Y/n realised her mistake as the stairs below crumbled, and she decided to jump for the bottom of the door. The stairs underneath fell as she outstretched her hand, hoping to grasp onto the ledge.

But she was falling far too fast for that as she looked down at the blazes beneath her.

Just then, something grasped her hand as she looked up to see the girl as she pulled Y/n up, both of them making it to the 8th floor whereas the rest had only made it to the 7th floor.

She got to her feet as they looked out the door down the open stair-less well. The other team did the same, looking up at them from the doorway.

"You guys just focus on getting to the roof. We'll do the same. Whoever gets there first can turn off the sprinklers." The older sister shouted up as we agreed, wishing them good luck.

We turned back to the eighth floor, shutting the door behind us. The entire building was hot, and the air was humid. Each breath felt heavy as they panted. Only a small amount of the floor was available to them as certain prices of the roof and walls had collapsed, trapping them in.

"I can't tell if you're brave or incredibly stupid." She sighed as she started looking around the room.

"So, what do we do now? How do we get up the building?" Y/n asked.

"You really don't beat around the bush, do you? You remind me of someone i know."

"So? How do we? Tell me what you're thinking, we're a team now." She opened the windows, coughing as a dark smog crawled out from under the door.

She only hoped that the other group was okay.

"You're a kit, aren't you? I heard you and that girl talking before." She diverted from the question again, standing in one of the corners.

Y/n coughed once again, using some of the sheets off the nearby hospital beds to fill the gap below the door.

"Listen, that fire is spreading, and it's spreading fast. We need to get to the roof. Tell me how! I know you have an idea!" She looked back at the girl, getting irritated that she wasn't saying anything.

"Ann, my name is Ann." She once again acted as if she hadn't heard anything.

Just then, a jingle sounded from the phone that Y/n honestly forgot she was carrying. She pulled it out of her pocket as it lit up.

"30 minutes remaining." A woman's voice was heard.

"Look were on the 8th floor, I counted the doors when we first got into the stairwell, there were 12 of them and the top one would likely lead out to the rooftop to we need to make it up 4 more floors!"

Ann stayed quiet, and Y/n came to the conclusion that it was useless talking to her. She went to the window looking up the side of the building.

'The door that Ann first went through was where the fire first originated, and yet the fire spread towards them, as if it were controlled. It had a path to follow. Then, when they had gotten to the stairwell, cracks appeared as the fire heated them... wait, cracks don't just appear in that sort of way. Usually, they're always there. they're just hard to see until their opened by pressure or heat.'

She looked at the walls, running her hands across them carefully, and just as she suspected, there were cracks, designed cracks.

"This building, it was made to break with heat. It was made to burn." She stated.

Ann nodded, also looking at the wall. "So? What does that mean?"

"I- I'm not quite sure." She felt as though there was something bigger going on. But she didn't have time to ponder. The fire wouldn't stop for her to have a realisation.

Y/n surveyed the room for anything that could help them. The heat was getting worse, and they needed to do something. Anything.

There was a fire escape plan discarded on the floor. She picked it up, looking at it. She spotted the fire exit they had just come up in the bottom right corner.

But on the other side of the print, there was another set of stairs on the further side of the building, top left. From the diagram, Y/n knew it was on the other side of the building. Where they currently couldn't get to.

So... how the hell would they get there?

⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•═┈∘*◦○◦*∘┈═•*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•✩•*˚⁺

~ 1117 Words.