𝟏𝟓

A warm weather in June was often unheard of to one who has lived in Tokyo all her life

A warm weather in June was often unheard of to one who has lived in Tokyo all her life. Yet, here I was, basking in the sunlight that streamed past my window. The warmth of it loosened the strain in my chest. But as soon as I looked back down at my desk, dread consumed me whole. I slammed my head on the messy acacia surface, groaning from the pain and the mountainous deadlines I had left. 

"That's going to leave a mark." A blend aroma of pastry and coffee wafted into my room.  Kagome held a tray of sweet raspberry tart and coffee. 

"Breakfast," she smiled

"Breakfast," she smiled. "Don't worry, I convinced Mom to let you indulge yourself just this once." Her eyes peered at the papers scattered around the carpet, desk, and bed. "You really could use some." I didn't complain. The papers were everywhere - some crumpled, some blank used for later, and some...well, I didn't even know half of what I was using them for. 

"I can't remember the last time I felt this drowned in work," I groaned. So much happened while I was away. Projects, homework, and upcoming tests that would be the end of me before the summer break. Kagome puckered her lips in sympathy. "You really should get some rest before we go back," she reminded. And she was right. We had agreed to enter the well tonight. 

"Let me just finish this art project and we can head over to the bone-eaters well." I glared back at the near completion of my teacher's portrait. I would've had it finished hours ago if I could just get her damn nose right. 

"Or," Kagome spoke, trailing the word on her tongue, "we could go tomorrow morning instead." I immediately rejected the idea. "Oh no, I am not handling another yap from that aggravating puppy. If he so much does that again, I'll be buying a human-size cage the next time he trespasses our lawn." 

Kagome stuffed a laugh. "Somehow, I can see that happening." 

"Yeah, and then, I'll take him to the pound; that'll teach him how to play nice." 

She laughed at that last remark. "I forgot how much I've missed your sense of humour." 

I joined her laughter with a giggle of my own. As I took the last bite of the pastry, Kagome took the mug and plate away and left my room. With my battery recharged, I gripped my pencil and continued my work.