The ocean greeted me once more

In a realm of slumber, I find myself immersed in deep water. So often had it happened, it no longer frightened me to think I would drown. How could I anyway, when I am already dead? 

At least, that was what I believed. Had it been a quick death for me, I wondered. Had the monster's fangs killed me so swiftly, it spared me the trouble of feeling my body torn apart? 

Bubbles rippled out of my mouth - a breathless exhale breaking the stagnant blue space. A  speck of light appeared above me, glowing brighter as I sunk deeper. 

My sins are my own dereliction..."

The voice of one of too many I have heard sprung my nerves to life, the pressure of the ocean suddenly grabbing me as if to lift me back up to the surface. I drew closer to the light source, reaching out to it. 

"She is all I have left now..."

'Who?' I wondered. Her voice was a purr of lullabies - a warm dew of sunlight spring that calmed the chaos brewed from what I endured. But so did I yearn for answers. 

"...my prized possession."

The light above me began to dim, darkening into mirky blurs that grew heavier as my eyes slowly closed themselves back in again. Who was she referring to? Who was she, even?

The next thing I knew, a gentle breeze fumbled my fringe, tickling my nose and cheeks. The birds chirped as the sunlight slithered through the little gap between my eyelids. It was a distracting thing to tolerate. All I felt were sores coursing through my body, but I could feel them - my limbs and torso. They remained intact. Had the monster and chase been a dream too? 

"I know you're awake." 

The voice of a man - another human being - sent a jolt of relief to my spine. I immediately pulled myself up, only to meet a sword's edge, inches away from cutting my neck. I froze. My eyes followed the blade to its handle. The owner's hand looked rough, scraped with healed scars and claws sharp as the weapon itself. I looked past his robe of peculiar colors and design to his face where indigo marks adorned his cheeks as silver hair danced around his eyes. I held my breath in; they were an illuminating spectrum of gold. And they looked awfully familiar. 

"State your purpose here." 

I didn't speak - I couldn't, for whatever reason. The man narrowed his eyes at me and brought his sword closer to my neck. As I flinched, a tiny yelp escaped my lips. 

"Do you wish to die?" He spoke again, his voice cold as ice. 

"I...I swear..." I uttered. "I have no idea how I got here." The blade's edge gnawed gently at my skin. I tried to steady my breath even though my heart was racing. 

"I don't-" 

"Your name," he cut in. "State your name." 

"Y-Yuna," I answered quickly. "Please, I mean no harm, I swear. I'm j-just...trying to find my way back home." I looked at his eyes as they moved from side to side, inspecting me for any signs of danger or deception. After what felt like an eternity, he lowered his sword and his scrutinizing stare and walked away.