17

The air bore a thick presence that rose every hair on my arms

The air bore a thick presence that rose every hair on my arms. A lingering aura that could only belong to a powerful demon. Two armed and unfamiliar guards stood by the entrance.

"Halt!" The taller man commanded with an authoritative voice that echoed through the road. I didn't recognize who they were, but after a closer inspection of their uniforms, I knew they were Demon Slayers.

"I'm a member of this village," I told them. "Let me pass, please." They didn't pull their spears away. "Could've had us fooled." He eyed my school uniform with a sly grin and I was sure that he was thinking of things that would send his face sprawling on the ground. I frowned back. "If you don't believe me, go ahead and ask the Miko of the village, or anyone for that matter."

"And why should we? So you can sneak inside and steal all their goods for the demons?" His presumption surprised me. "Is that what this is all about? A demon robber?"

"Oh just be off with you!" One of them exclaimed. "We're only doing this so you don't hurt yourself."

"Or, you could save both of us the trouble and call for someone to vouch for me; I'm not leaving until you let me inside." I folded my arms together, giving them a stern look to show that I meant what I said.

"Ugh, what is it with women these days, always out looking for trouble."

That ticked a nerve. "Least I'm not the one whining like a child."

"Why you-"

"Yuna!" Kaede stood behind the guards. "It's alright chaps, the girl is with me; let her in, now, come on." With grumbling looks, they did.

"Thank you," I curtsied playfully and flashed to both of them a winning grin that would've made them come at me if I wasn't a girl. I followed Kaede to her hut. Along the way, I noticed there were several more demon slayers stationed in pairs around the village.

"I apologize for that little inconvenience, Yuna."

I shook my head. "They were only doing their job."

Once we entered her hut, Kaede offered a warm cup of tea. I mumbled a thank you before asking about the demon slayers roaming the village - and how it was even possible.

"Sango told me that all the demon slayers had been slain by Naraku months ago."

"Indeed," Kaede replied, taking time to sip her tea. "Until a few weeks ago, a young village had come to honour the late warriors and establish a new group of demon slayers. But of course, as you experienced, they don't exactly uphold the demeanor or manner of one just yet."

I chuckled softly. Sango would be a great teacher for that - especially if she had seen the way one of them looked at me.

"As to why I hired them, you must have sensed the irksome aura surrounding the village, yes?"