𝟙𝟚

𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚢𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚝
-> 𝙸𝚜𝚊𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊'𝚜 𝚕𝚞𝚕𝚕𝚊𝚋𝚢 (𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙿𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝙽𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚍)
------------------

~

Darkness had never been a peaceful touch to Yuna. She had never welcomed the untouchable, calm embrace of the abyss. The pit of her stomach sang to her heart, relishing a peace she had yearned to feel. She could stay like this forever, she thought. Drifting amidst the silent shadows as they carried her mind into solemn bliss. 

But a glow rested on her nose. A delicate brush that compelled her eyes to open. 

She had never seen so many stars glimmering in the sky

She had never seen so many stars glimmering in the sky. It felt as if the heavens had finally taken pity on the poor child. Through fire and blood, the world had scorned her with a target on her back for the flames to aim.  A sky full of stars seemed like an adequate compensation. But Yuna knew all too well that death's door remained far. That she was, by no means, stranded in the border between life and death. The scent of licorice and roses filled her lungs. A combination she never thought would complement each other well. As she blinked, more glowing petals materialized before her, swaying gently across her body. 

She was in the realm of her dreams, once again, though this image was foreign to Yuna

She was in the realm of her dreams, once again, though this image was foreign to Yuna. She slowly sat up, eyeing the glowing field that reminded her of sapphires and crystals. Pollens floated like dandelion seeds, joining the cloak of glowing petals in the sky. They encapsulated the night where the stars could not touch, adding flickers of wonder and magic to the dark canvas. It was the most beautiful thing Yuna had ever seen. 

With each step she took, the ground beneath her rippled like a gentle stream, as though the ground she walked on was a lake reflecting the cerulean glimmer around her. The flowers bloomed wider and glowed brighter as Yuna neared them, setting a trail that she could not help but follow. Something within her stirred. Like a memory deep within begging to resurface at the sight of the petals falling at her feet, the scent that ached her chest despite its heavenly fragrance. This dream was more than a figment of her fantasies. 

Suddenly, the petals' movements quickened, circling her as if to stop her from continuing on the path that awaited her. She bit her lips in worry - fearing that the slightest disobedience would wreak havoc on her dream and turn it into another nightmare. Yet, something called her to push past the gentle barrier. Something that needed her to see and remember. As the circle of petals closed in on Yuna, she let out a heavy breath and burst through the thin wall. Only to find herself in another realm. The sapphire field was gone, replaced by pure glistening water. She worried her dreams would pull her under, but it had not. A giant tree - a phoenix tree, she realized - now stood before her, burning with the brightest shade of crimson. A figure also stood in front of her waiting for Yuna to walk closer. 

"Who are you?" Her voice echoed through the dream. The lonely figure made no response and only lifted her head. A tiny gasp escaped Yuna's lips. As the breeze blew her hair out of her face, Yuna realized that she was looking at herself. She looked back at Yuna with a smile so pure, it radiated warmth. 

"Who..." Yuna hesitated. "What are you?" 

The figure looked at her longingly. Though her smile remained, sadness now filed the tiny curves of her lips. She lifted her arms to her. A flower emerged as she opened her palms before it transformed into a butterfly. It flew towards Yuna and landed on her finger. More butterflies materialized around her. 

"What are you-"

"Remember," the voice whispered. Then, everything began to fade. The realm began to cease, as was her reflection. A wave of panic surged through Yuna. 

"Wait, no! Don't go!" But everything had gone dark once more, leaving only a final message for her. 

"Forevermore..."