The widowed queen meditated in the silence of her quarters, tolerating only the calls of nature that penetrated through the unlocked windows

The widowed queen meditated in the silence of her quarters, tolerating only the calls of nature that penetrated through the unlocked windows. Her kingdom covered many lands in the Western Pavilion. One of which thrived in plum blossom trees, the symbol of her clan. They blush under daylight's embrace as the gentle breeze carried their fragrance across her home. She slowly opened her eyes, a shade that bore the sun's glint, dashed in cunning decorum. The slightest change in the breeze tickled her ears.

"So, the rumors are true," she spoke to no one specifically. Nature had become her greatest companion since her husband's death, and not long after, her son's, complex, quest. She had heard from the hawks that scourged through the sky, their watchful eyes spying on the arrogant crowned prince.

'Another female companion...' Had her son's heart truly gone softer?

♗♗♗

Sesshomaru looked at the human girl incredulously. 

"Can you teach me how to use a sword," she asked. Were his ears playing tricks on him? He, Sesshomaru, a prince of fine swordsmanship, and a warrior whose name would paralyze his enemies to the bones, teaching a mortal how to fight? Had the prince maintained his composure, he may have truly laughed for the first time. 

"And what is your reasoning behind that?" His question earned him a surprised look on Yuna's face. 

"What's the reason behind not to?" She dared to question him back. "If you teach me how to fight, you won't have to worry about saving me all the time. Plus, I can watch over Rin whenever you're gone." 

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes at her. She was not wrong; teaching her self-defense would ease the burden of chasing after Yuna wherever trouble lurked by and it would very much quicken his search for the vermin, Naraku. There was just one problem. 

"You have no weapon." 

"I could borrow one of yours," she pointed, a hint of hesitance in her voice. The prince frowned. Sesshomaru was never one to share his things, much less his weapons, as inferior as they were to the Tessaiga. 

"My swords cannot be wielded by you; you lack the demonic energy to summon their powers." 

The young woman bit her cheek. "Hand-to-hand combat?" At that suggestion, Sesshomaru scoffed, perhaps chuckled, even. What good would that do against demons thrice her height and size? But then another alternative struck Sesshomaru's mind. A weapon that may even further confirm his theory of the girl. 

When night approached and the woodlands slumbered, Sesshomaru sauntered to the sleeping Yuna, awakening her with a tickle of his mokomoko. She jolted herself forward, believing the fuzzy cloak to be some sort of animal or demon. When she realized it was only Sesshomaru, a soft sigh escaped her lips.