Ride with You

CHAPTER EIGHT

Song: Passenger Seat by Stephen Speaks 

                He insisted on giving me a ride home. I don’t really want to, but I don’t have any choice. No cabs really pass by the area.

Now he doesn’t only know my number and where I work, he also knows where I live.

Just thinking of all the possible VALID reasons why he made so much effort just to know where I am gives me headache!

It was obvious that both of us are putting effort to make each other comfortable during the ride.

I started. “So, what do you plan to do while on your vacation?”

He looked at me for a while then focused on the road again, smiling sheepishly.

“Actually, I don’t really know. I was focused on finding you, didn’t know it would only take a while for me to do so.”

I can really feel my self blushing now. Am I that important to him that he actually asked for a vacation just to locate me? This could not be real!

To escape the awkwardness, I asked again. “By the way, why did you say that your name is Simon. Obviously it’s not. Is that your Pseudo name or something?”

 “Not really. Simon is my English name. Besides, it’s shorter than my real name.” Make sense.

“But you don’t really need to use that when you called me, even though I know it’s you.”

He smiled at me mockingly. “Exactly my point.” Fine!

“How about you, don’t you have a shorter name?” he asked me in return.

“Well, most of my friends call me Gabby. I kinda like it actually.” I stated as a matter of fact.

“Oh, I see.” That’s all he said and continued driving. Somehow, I can see a crease forming on his forehead.

Don’t tell me; even my nickname is an issue to him. Oh come on..!

*****************

When we arrived at my house, he immediately got off and went to my side to open the door for me.

Before I even get my foot to touch the ground, he asked, “So when can I see you again?”

Oh, you can see me anytime you want... I want to hit myself for that thought.

“Well… I think it should be up to you. You’re the one who’s gonna go all the way here anyway. But make sure I’m not busy when you do. Maybe during weekends would be much better.

And next time, don’t just show up anywhere and anytime you want, just like today. You’re getting both of us in trouble!”

He made a salute with a smirk, as he replied, Yes, Ma’am!”

That really made me smile.

            I refused to let him walk me to the door. A few of our neighbors are still outside; doing so would definitely create a stampede. No one would really want that, particularly me.

I waved him goodbye and turned around to enter my house.

“Ela! ... I mean, Gabriela! Wait!” he called for me.

I was quite startled with the name he first called me. What is it this time?

“Yes? And what’s with the Ela?” I asked.

His getting near me somehow made me agitated.

“I like to call you that. Is that okay? It’s shorter and I think it suits you more.” I think I saw a blush when he said that. I felt blushing myself.

He’s really amusing. “I guess so... Okay. But I really prefer Gabby. Is that it?” He stopped me for that?

“Besides that, I just want to say thank you for finally talking to me. I mean, after what we had, I know it’s really awkward...” he trailed off.

“Uhm... You don’t really need to thank me. I really appreciate your effort to find me, just to talk to me and clear things out, although, we didn’t really make it.”

I don’t really know what to say. But of course, I need to assure him that it’s of no big deal.

“Anyway, thanks for the ride.” I said ending the conversation.

“You’re always welcome.” He flashed a smile I can’t compare to anything more beautiful, his eyes were like disappearing.

We both just stand there for a while just looking at each other, not knowing what to do next.

Oh god! I don’t like this. Is he going to kiss me? Hug me maybe, or shake my hand? This is really awkward!

“Uh… Bye?” This came out more like a question from me.

“Yeah… Bye.” He said scratching his head again, read tints on his cheeks appearing.

He went back to his car, but made sure that I was safe inside the house before he left.

**********

I just entered the front door when my phone rang again.

What the..?! It’s him again! It’s just a couple of minutes since we separated!

I answered it. “Now what?! I thought I just told you--”

He cut me off with, “I’m really sorry. I just forgot to ask you something...”

I can hear the sincerity in his voice, but I can also sense a tinge of delight with it.

“What is it? Is it that important that you can’t wait till weekend?” I almost laughed at myself with the idea.

“Sort of... Since I can call and see you now more often, does that mean we’re friends now?”

What the heck? Is that all you needed to ask?!

I don’t know if I’ll get annoyed or what with his question. I don’t really know what to say.

“Would you take a no for an answer?”

Silence, then a deep sigh.

Oh God, why is he making me feel like I just gave my favorite student a zero?!  

“Okay, fine. Yes, we’re friends now. Happy?”

I almost dropped my phone when I heard him shout with glee.

Asa! You said it already. No taking back, okay?” I can’t help but laugh.

“O-okay, focus on your driving, will you? Take care. Bye.” I shook my head with a smile on my face as I end the call.

He’s really like a kid.