61

𝟲𝟭: 𝗝𝗔𝗘𝗛𝗬𝗨𝗡'𝗦 𝗖𝗛𝗢𝗜𝗖𝗘

"You called for backup, didn't you?"

I shifted my gaze away from the glass windows and looked over to Jaehyun who was standing just next to the table, his muscular arms crossed against his chest. It was always hard to assume what type of expression Jaehyun was wearing, not only because of the mask, but because his voice was most of the time emotionless as well. So I always just never tried guessing.

"I did.. How did you know?"

"I just know you care a lot about Mark. So I assumed... You love him, don't you?"

Silence cruised by. The only thing heard were the faint commotions of the bustling road during this night.

I nodded my head slowly, feeling somewhat shy to just suddenly talk about this topic. "Of course I do. I mean, in general, I hate to think of the fact that he was there now, willing to sacrifice himself for me. It's just too much." I sighed, my teeth grinding against each other as I looked back at the night sky. "In general, I've realized with this case is that people are willing to risk their lives for me... and I fucking hate it. It just feels like their blood is on my hands, all because of my father. I'd feel the same for everyone, even with you."

Jaehyun released a soft and brief chuckle. "To be honest, the sound of sacrificing myself doesn't sound too bad... because I don't really have families or friends to have at my funeral."

I looked at Jaehyun, a bit concerned about his words. "Umm..." I said. "I mean, you have us."

Jaehyun shrugged his shoulder. "Only because of this case. We would've never known each other if it weren't for it. What I'm saying is that even outside of my Venom life, I don't have anyone. So there's not much of worry I'd cause for my demise." Jaehyun realized he was sounding perhaps a bit too depressive, so he tried laughing it off. "But of course, I wouldn't want that to happen... I still have to keep the this city safe before I get old and retire. Haha."

I smiled at him. "Well, what about this? After this whole shitty case, you can join me and Mark with Donghyuck and Naomi."

Jaehyun scoffed a laugh. "And what? Fourth wheel? No thanks." He tittered. "But hey... That sounds a lot better than being alone."

We took a brief moment to smile at each other.

But this very moment was interrupted when somebody entered. Somebody very unexpected.

It was Mr. Stacy.

Jaehyun immediately rushed over to me, and blocked me with his arm, attempting to push me behind him.

What the hell was Mr. Stacy doing here? Wasn't he supposed to be where Mark was? This entire situation was overwhelmingly confusing that I turned out speechless.

Mr. Stacy casually trudged inside the room, carrying some sort of high-tech weapon that pointed towards our way. He heaved heavily before loosening the tie he wore. "You weren't supposed to be here Venom. You were supposed to be at my house with Spiderman. I thought you'd be courageous enough to sacrifice yourself for Juliane."

Jaehyun narrowed his eyes at him. "Because we knew something was off. I had a feeling that something were to happen here." He sneered.

Mr. Stacy stayed closed to the doorway and rolled his eyes, unamused by the entire situation. "Well, it's your fault that you're going down with Juliane tonight. And that's all thanks to Spiderman." He said and pulled the trigger.

It wasn't a gun with a bullet, the weapon was something else. There was a cluster of glowing strings surging towards Jaehyun and I, and since Jaehyun was in front of me, it hit him first. This cluster of glowing strings swathed glided down on his body, then swathed around his wrists whilst its end attached on the ground, as though trapping him. Jaehyun groaned, pulling onto his arms but the strings kept him captivated. "Fucking Trapper." Jaehyun groaned.