5

𝟱: 𝗦𝗘𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗧 𝗘𝗫𝗣𝗢𝗦𝗘𝗗

At 8:45 AM, I found myself in History class, seated alongside Mark Lee. Mr. Johnson was discussing the chapters we had covered today, specifically focusing on the various crises that occurred during the Cold War. Most of his lecture was unintelligible to me since I was clearly not engaged, causing his voice to become nothing more than background noise.

I couldn't concentrate at all, not after what happened yesterday.

My mind was in disarray as I pondered the potential implications of what Venom might have said if my father had not intervened. At first, I was convinced that Spiderman just dared Venom into playing pranks on innocent people, and I happened to be an unfortunate victim. I doubted this assumption. Venom's demeanor and words seemed far too earnest for it to be a simple jest.

"You good?"

This showed that it was serious matter, that even Mark Lee failed to keep me distracted from all these confusing and frustrating thoughts. "Oh... Mhm, yeah I'm fine. Just a tad fatigued." I responded, although secretly, my stomach churned upon realizing his genuine worry for me.

"You don't like me, do you?"

The unexpected inquiry took me by surprise.
Swiftly, I turned my gaze towards him and observed him glancing at me from the corner of his eye. "What? That's an incredibly arbitrary question. What do you mean by that?"

Mark raised his shoulders slightly. "We've been having History class together since our Freshman year, and you've never made the effort to start a conversation."

"Why don't you initiate it then?"

"You're unapproachable."

Although Mark's argument was valid, I couldn't help but find it amusing how he was a tad intimidated by my presence. The whole conversation had a comedic element that brought a smile to my face. "I'm not very chatty, but don't think I don't like you, Mark."

That statement proved to be accurate. Since our initial year, Mark and I have shared the same History class seating arrangement, but oddly enough, we've never engaged in any conversations. On the rare occasions we did speak, our discussions primarily revolved around class-related matters. Although I desired to connect with Mark on a deeper level, initiating a conversation with him always seemed like an insurmountable challenge, leaving me no choice but to remain silent.

Mark's demeanor suddenly became more self-assured. "Oh I know. In fact, I know you like me."

Once again, I was taken aback by the unexpected words that flowed out of Mark's mouth. A baffled look crept onto my face while Mark remained seated, sporting a confident smile. "What?" I questioned.

"Donghyuck told me."

"He what?!" I raised my voice.

Mr Johnson turned his back to the blackboard, and directed his gaze towards where Mark and I were with a slight narrowing of his eyes and raised eyebrows. His face devoid of amusement. "Do you have something you'd like to share with the rest of the class, Moon?"

As I became aware of everyone's gaze fixated on me, a rush of warmth spread across my face. I timidly shook my head and answered, expressing regret to Mr. Johnson. Shortly after, he diverted his attention to the blackboard and continued discussing the Cuban Missile Crisis.

After a brief pause, I subtly side-eyed Mark, and he was mirroring the same act. Caught in act, we both immediately averted our gaze.

I heaved, with my fingers massaging the temples of my head. "When did he tell you?"

"Uhh dude let me think, I think it was like back in..." Mark pondered deeply while scratching his chin. "At the end of Sophomore year."

That son of a bitch.

There was no doubt that Donghyuck wouldn't live to see another sunrise today. Nonchalantly, I cleared my throat and shrugged, proposing a falsified remark. "In case you're wondering, that was a thing of the past. I don't hold the same feelings towards you anymore." What a fat lie.

Mark's doe eyes enlarged even more, displaying his disappointment in my answer. "Aw man, really? Well I'm just genuinely surprised that you actually did like me. I would've never suspected. You act like I don't exist. Geez man, you were terrible at that."

Feeling insulted, I dismissed his comment and gave him a disapproving look, along with a response. "Says you? You can't even utter a single word to Gwen Stacy yourself."

Mark's reaction was similar to my previous reaction as he abruptly shifted in his chair. "How do you know?!" He exclaimed. The sheer volume of his voice reverberated throughout the room, instantly immobilizing both of us. Our bodies became so frozen that we almost seemed unnoticed, fearing the consequences of being discovered as the source of commotion.

Mr Johnson was aware of the identity behind the voice. He gave Mark and me a foul stare, accompanied by a frown. "Both of you, remain silent! It is crucial that you concentrate, as this is important for your upcoming collaborative essay. If I hear another word from you," He warned, pointing his finger and directing it towards the exit. "Detention will be given. Mark my words."

Mark and I both nodded, and soon after, the History class resumed once again. We were seated, fully engaged with the blackboard, but mentally wandering elsewhere.

"Donghyuck told you, didn't he?"

"He did."

"That son of a bitch!" He exclaimed. "Wanna kill him together after class?"

"That is it!" Mr Johnson shouted, sending a wave of fear through the entire classroom. "Mark Lee and Juliane Moon, detention after school!"