30

𝟯𝟬: 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗙𝗥𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡
𝙈𝘼𝙍𝙆 𝙇𝙀𝙀'𝙎 𝙋𝙊𝙑

Was this how it felt for Juliane, during those years of liking me? Having to look at me from the distance without saying anything, despite the enormous and deep desire of doing so? I had been doing that, ever since the day after the phone call between us. We've only been glancing at each other, and throwing waves or whatnot but that was about it. It was like back in Freshman year. I wanted to approach, but I couldn't. It almost felt like she didn't even want my presence near her. It was frustrating. I forced Donghyuck to arranged a plan where I and Juliane had to face each other eventually, but he refused and told me I must do it myself.

Why was I so hesitant?

Why was she making me feel like this?

Fucking hell. Being a high school student, was a lot harder than being Spiderman.

"Are you okay, Mark?" Gwen prodded on my shoulder.

I finally awaken from my wandering musings and gained back my consciousness.

I was sitting with the Decathletes in the cafeteria, eating and studying simultaneously. We all made a deal to do this, obviously because the Nationals were nearing, and that meant cafeterias with Donghyuck and Naomi would have to go on pause for me and Juliane for a while.

Well, at least for me only. I had no idea where Juliane had been wandering off. She always claimed to visit the restroom after 10 minutes of sitting with us, and she never came back. Was she copying me? Haha, pretty funny to be frank.

Anyways, people didn't really seem to be bothered by her absence, but I was.

"Don't you think it's a bit odd and worrying that Juliane never comes back?" I asked with a tinge of concern in my voice, my gaze never leaving the entrance of the cafeteria.

Gwen looked at the direction I was looking at. "It is indeed." She mumbled with a nod. "You should probably go and check up on her. I mean, she's your friend."

Friend? Friend. Of course.

"You're right." I said and swiveled my head to look at her.

Gwen looked right back at me with those blue, doe eyes, and one of those smiles she blinded a lot of people with. I found it strange. Even the sight of her beautiful face that used to make my heart stop, had no effect on me right now, whatsoever. Nothing. Not even a single butterfly, or a knot or a churn in my stomach. Nothing at all.

"I'll be back." I said.

I then stood up from the table and commenced trailing out of the cafeteria, wondering where Juliane could've went. I walked around the school, trying to search for her and as expected, it was harder than I thought.

Eventually, I found her. Juliane was sitting inside classroom 38, the room she had to be in after lunch for English. She was perched on her usual seat and her tote bag was on hanging from the chair. Juliane was napping, she had her arms on the table, and her head on top, her eyes were closed.

I smiled.

I entered the room, noticing how empty it was. Nobody was there but the two of us.

Of course as Spiderman, I was sneaky, so she didn't even notice my presence. Or maybe, she really was sleeping.

I carefully hauled out on chair on the right that was right next hers and took a seat, muted and unnoticed which helped Juliane continue her precious nap without getting awaken. I slouched a bit on my seat and placed an elbow on the surface of the table, then cupped the right side of my cheek and stared at her being in this peaceful state.

Juliane was asleep. She laid as still as a brick. The only movement was the slight rise and fall of her chest. In her sleep she was angelic, her face as fresh as a dew drop, making gentle snuffling noises as she breathed. It was hard for me to imagine that this was the girl who that used to like me.

This pretty girl... liked me?

Soon, her eyelids and nose began to twitch, suggesting that consciousness had taken her body back.

I didn't want to scare her by making her open her eyes and see nothing but my wide-eyed face staring straight into her soul, so I drew away from her a bit and moved the chair to create a squeak.

Juliane heard the squeak, so she knew somebody was present. When her eyes finally fluttered open, it opened wider in surprise when it connected with mine. And with one mere blink, I saw her cheeks turning red, so profusely it made me smile.

"Mark- Jesus Christ, you scared me." Juliane faltered with her words and sat upright on her chair, her hand landing flat on her chest as she felt her heart pounding. "What the hell are you doing here?"

I crossed my arms against my chest and leaned against the chair, my back sliding down a bit as I looked up at the ceiling. "1 week of barely interacting was unbearable for me, so I'm here because I can't handle it, even if it meant to force my presence."

Silence passed by. Juliane didn't say anything, she just watched me stare at the ceiling for a brief moment before finally speaking.

"So ironic, Mark Lee." Juliane smiled with a chuckle. "You used to ditch on me, and now you're actually wanting to be here with me?"

"Very ironic of you too, Juli." I said and turned to her with a feeble smile. "You're the one always bailing now. Is this some type of revenge? Because then we're fair now, so let's stop avoiding each other. Okay?"

Juliane pursed her lips, then bit her inner cheek. "Okay then."

I wanted to ask her reason for this sudden and brief choice of closure, but I didn't. It didn't look like she would explain either. I wouldn't force an answer out of her. How could I? I also lied about my reasons.