Chapter 20: We Will Survive

Jonah returns to the store to meet up with the girls. Caedi, who had finished picking out her clothes spots him and quickly charges towards him. Jonah's eyes slightly widen, and he opens his arms. Caedi crashes into him and holds onto his hoodie tightly. She looks up at him with worry in her eyes.

"Jonah, what about my mom and my brothers? I've cooperated with you, so please don't leave them behind. Iah told me that they're still alive," Caedi says, her voice slightly trembling.

"Oh? Do you finally believe what I've said?"

Caedi lowers her head in silence, then slowly looks at Jonah.

"At the very least, I believe you won't let me die... but my mother and my brothers, besides Iah, they're the only true family I have. So please." Tears threaten to run down her eyes.

Jonah smiles at her, then gently pats her on the head. Caedi, in turn, looks at him bewildered.

"It's fine. They're already at the base waiting for us. All that's left is for us to go meet them."

Caedi immediately breathes a sigh of relief, and her body partially gives way as she leans into Jonah's chest. Jonah's eyes light up at the sight, and the usual pitch-black color turns to a light brown.

"You are just the same as before; it took me a while to realize it. Just as before, I'll trust you completely. Just don't make me too sad, okay?"

Caedi tightens her grip on him, then looks at him straight in the eyes. She smiles, but there is a hint of sadness in it. Jonah puts his hand to her face, and she leans into it.

"What's this all of a sudden?" He says, gently.

"I don't know, maybe it's just the strengthened feelings towards you kicking in."

Jonah smiles, then carefully lifts Caedi off of him.

"Well, let's go have everyone try out the clothes I picked out for them, shall we?"

Caedi is slightly taken aback, but then just smiles wryly.

"Um, sure."

The two meet up with Iah and Grace, who were still trying on clothes.

"Oh, Jonah, you're back," Grace greets him.

"I had the outfits I want for you guys custom-made. I'll make someone bring them over."

Jonah claps his hands, and an attendant hurriedly runs up to the group with a pile of clothes. He respectfully hands them to Jonah and leaves as quickly as he came.

"Just how many people do you have under your control?" Caedi asks curiously.

"Anyone who has bought jewellery for the past 3 years has a collar in some form."

"Then... why are you doing all this? Why didn't you just do everything you wanted by force?"

Jonah smiles while looking at Caedi's worried face.

"Because I have you. And I also have Iah, Grace, Shana, and even Fiona."

"What do we have to do with it?"

"I have gathered all the ideal people who will stay by my side. It's all anyone could ever ask for. I have no desire to forcibly make people bend to my will. I want people who will do it willingly, and I will respond in kind."

'but that isn't entirely true is it...?' Iah whispers to herself.

"You're not making any sense," Caedi says confused.

"It's okay if you don't understand. Just know that I would never forcibly control people unless I have to. Anyway-"

Jonah hands her an outfit from the pile of clothes. Caedi looks at it carefully then blushes. She looks at Jonah with a questioning look.