Chapter 1: I've Been Dying To See You Again

A man walks up the road of his village, his pale brown hands stuck in the pockets of his hoodie. Everyone he passes by seems to overlook him, as if he were invisible.

On his face, are scars on his left cheek, and bruises mark his rough brown skin. His eyes lack emotion, a deep black color threatening to never dissipate.

A brown pouch hangs from the waist of his dark blue pants, swinging as he walks, accompanied by a messenger bag resting against the back of his black hoodie.

Reaching his destination, he turns to his right, staring at the house on the hill in front of him, his jet black curls fluttering in the wind. It's a freshly built concrete house, unpainted.

He kicks the ground with his sneakers, bracing himself and walks towards the house.

There he meets a woman doing laundry by hand, she's about the same height as Jonah. Straight, jet black hair frames her face, and the sun highlights her fair brown skin.

Jonah edges towards her quietly, his heart racing. He stops behind her.

"Good afternoon," he says.

"Jesus!" The woman startles. "Oh Jonah! Long time no see, you had to frighten me like that?"

Jonah smiles.

"So Jonah, how's your mammy, nuh?"

"She... moved out recently for some reason. So it's just me here still."

"Oh... so you come to meet us, or you come to miss Caedi?"

"Well, all of you. I just felt like coming over."

The two stand in silence as the woman continues washing her clothes.

"Well, come inside, nuh. Make yourself at home. I'll call those girls to come and see you. Those boys chilling in the living room."

Without saying anything, Jonah walks inside. His eyes glaze over, remembering past memories.

"They kept the same layout as the old house."

Jonah stares at the room around him. In front of him is an opening leading to the other rooms of the house, a curtain draped in front of it.

To his right, against the wall, is a computer desk with a laptop on it. Next to the desk is an outlet with a tablet and three other phones resting on it.

On the opposite side of the desk is a couch, two boys sitting on it, both staring at a video playing on the laptop. Their attention turns to Jonah as soon as their brains realize he's there.

"Jonah, is that you?" the older brother says.

"Yeah," he simply replies.

The older brother gets up, runs to him, and hugs him, reaching roughly Jonah's waist.

"You look so different, you lost all your belly fat."

He pats Jonah's belly, smiling.

Jonah scoffs, a slight smile on his face.

"Hey, get off him boy. Hi Jonah."

A voice appears from the opening in front of Jonah. It's a fair-skinned girl with short, dark brown braids, colorful beads swinging off the ends. She's about shoulder height to Jonah, her eyes bright brown, and a tiny mole on the corner of her pink lips. She waves at Jonah.

"Hi Iah." Jonah smiles brightly.

Iah leaves as quickly as she came, disappearing behind the curtain.

Jonah looks down to see the younger brother grabbing his hand.