Aaron

The sky outside was dark while the inside of Freddy's remained bright. The business was particularly busy for a Saturday night. Aaron remembered every detail from back then. He sat at the end of a long table with several of his friends around it. They all wore cone-shaped party hats. The Freddy's employee was lighting the 10 candles on his cake as everyone watched with excitement. The employees divided the big yellow cake with bright pink frosting amongst the children.

    Aaron got the biggest slice first, being the birthday boy. Everyone shouted 'happy birthday' to him and he smiled warmly, thanking them all as he dug into his cake. When he and the children were done eating, they all scattered like roaches to play. But while most of them went to the arcade machines, Aaron wanted to crawl into the big plastic play structure. So he ran into the big playroom. Children and toddlers were rushing in and out of it, going up the ladders and then down the slides. He noticed one kid get yelled at for trying to climb up a slide as a toddler was trying to go down. Every single sound and inflection in their voices were vivid in his memories.

    Aaron rushed to the bottom entrance - a small plastic net surrounding platforms he had to crawl under and then on top of. He found his way onto the first triangular platform, turned around, and slid up onto the next. He did this several more times, passing the entrance to the middle set of tunnels with the small slides. He wanted to go into the upper set with the longer, faster slides. Once he reached the top, he rushed through a big turquoise plastic tube on his hands and knees. Other kids were rapidly crawling around and he had to stop and wait for some to pass before he could go. As he came to an intersection of four different colored tunnels, he looked to the left and noticed a boy sitting alone in a netted cage-like end.

    "Hey!" Aaron said, crawling over to the boy. The boy turned around. His eyes were wide and he looked worried. His brown hair was a mess. One part was drooping just between his eyes. His shirt was black with two big gray stripes. He was holding a small plush of a golden version of Freddy. The plush had a purple top hat and bow tie with two big black buttons on its chest. Its eyes were black and dull.

    "Hello," the boy said nervously. Aaron sat next to him. The two could see the whole playroom from where they were. They looked around. Kids were all crashing into the ball pit from the slides as parents watched from the corners. A small group of kids were rushing to see the animatronic performance, hearing the music and realizing it was starting up again after a long break.

    "Why are you all by yourself?" Aaron asked.

    "My brother," the boy said firmly, "my brother is always so mean to me. And I don't wanna be around him right now,"

    "Well... it's my birthday today and we have some cake... if you want some,"

    "No thanks," the kid looked at him, "but happy birthday! My birthday is in a few days!"

    "Oh, nice..." The two sat there in awkward silence as they watched a golden rabbit animatronic mascot enter the room. He was walking away, holding a child's hand. The child held a red balloon in his other hand as he followed the dance-walking mascot. Aaron stared at this character he had never seen before, "Golden Bonnie?" he said to himself. He analyzed all of the character's features. Its movements were clearly like that of a human rather than a robot. Its shiny green eyes didn't blink at all. Its head was more round than Bonnie's, as was its jaw. Its jaw, rather than being like that of a snout, was shaped like a half-circle arching above the mouth. Its teeth were slightly brownish. Beneath its shiny purple bowtie were two buttons, like the golden-Freddy doll in the boy's hand.

    "Spring-Bonnie, actually," the striped shirt kid corrected, "this is the fourth time I saw him walk some kid to the cafe area this week. It's weird, isn't it?"