Terence

"Yarr! I be Foxy the Pirate! The fiercest pirate in all the 7 seas!" the animatronic said in a pirate-dialect. Children surrounded the small stage in the corner of the room. The shiny purple curtains were open and Foxy was giving an introductory monologue, "join me, young ones, on my adventure!" Terence remembered having to push past other kids to even see him. When he finally made it to the front of the row, he could better see what was going on, "My matey here has the cards. Go out and get all the stamps and ye shall get me treasure!"

    "Okay, line up, single file," said an employee standing by the curtain. She sounded like she didn't want to be there. Her monotone voice was funny in contrast to how excited Foxy's tone was. Terence stood in line and waited patiently for his card. He knew everyone else would be figuring them out top to bottom. In an effort to be the first one to finish, he decided to start with the last riddle first - 'Yellow, round, eats up dots - corner of Foxy's favorite spot'.

    It didn't take Terence very long to remember the last time he was here and Foxy was talking about visiting 'Arcade Island' several times per week - spending his treasure to play games. Terence already knew the riddle referred to the Pacman arcade game. He instantly ran two rooms over and found the Pacman machine in the corner. Terence looked at the screen and at the deck below with the buttons. Nothing. He turned to check behind the machine and found a stamp hanging by a small chain pinned to it. He grabbed the stamp and firmly pressed it inside the box next to the riddle at the bottom.

    "Hey kid!" someone called. Terence glanced to the side and saw a yellow bunny character, somewhat similar to Bonnie, standing between two big open doors. He could tell this was a person in a mascot costume and not an animatronic only because the person moved too fluidly. The costume's mouth movements lined up exactly with what the person was saying rather than creaking around like an animatronic. His voice was muffled and carried no static. The golden rabbit was leaning half of its body out from the room behind the crimson doors.

    "Uh- hey?" Terence said awkwardly, "Who are you? Some version of Bonnie?"

    "Haven't you heard?" the mascot uttered. The person seemed to be putting on a deep voice with a slight accent as though he was playing a character, "I'm SPRING-Bonnie! I was here before Bonnie, actually!"

    "Spring-Bonnie?" Terence asked, chuckling a little, "pfft, that's- dumb. What did Bonnie get the Midas Touch or somethin'?"

    "Whatever, just- listen," the man hushed, breaking character for only a moment, "I see you're doing Foxy's scavenger hunt, huh?" Terence nodded, "well, I actually have all of the treasures he gives out right here in this room!" the mascot pointed at the dark room he was peeking out of.

    "Uh- I'm not supposed to trust strangers,"

    "Well, what's your name, kid?"

    "Terence,"

    "Terence? It's nice to meet you. And you know that I'm Spring-Bonnie. So... we're not strangers anymore, right?"

    "Well- I guess not," the boy said nervously. The mascot reached into the room and pulled out a handful of the chocolate gold coins Foxy would usually distribute after the scavenger hunts.

    "Now come on," the mascot grumbled in a normal voice, "I'm only supposed to do this with one kid per day, do you want it or not?" The mascot appealed to Terence, realizing the boy was a tiny bit older than most kids here. He acted as though this was some company policy that there was to be one randomly selected scavenger-hunter per day to give extra treasures to.

    "Fine," Terence answered, following the golden rabbit-dressed man into the room. A dingy light barely illuminated it enough for the boy to see shelves along the walls. There were three arcade machines in the corner that seemed to be deactivated. He turned to the person in the Spring-Bonnie suit. The man inside was taking it off, piece by piece. First, he removed the head. Next, he grabbed his hand and pulled his arm out of the inside sleeve. He maneuvered himself out of the rest of the suit until the one piece - torso and legs - were sitting on the ground next to the head.

    Terence watched with concern as the man started giggling a little bit. He was tall and very thin. His brown hair was long and somewhat frizzy. He wore a fitted lavender-colored button-up dress shirt and black jeans. He turned around. Terence saw him for only a second as the man pulled a long kitchen knife from his pocket. Terence found his crazed expression to be terrifying but before he could say anything, the man reached for the light switch on the wall and flipped it down.