1.11

⎯⎯ ୨ 1.11: are u insane like me? ୧ ⎯⎯

IT WAS KINDA a stupid idea, but as a demigod, you have to be stupid sometimes. and it was annabeth, so it was not a stupid idea.

she loaded them into the back of a vegas taxi as if they actually had money, and told the driver, "la, please." 

the cabbie chewed his cigar and sized them up. "that's three hundred miles. for that, you gotta pay up front." 

"you accept casino debit cards?" annabeth asked.

 he shrugged. "some of 'em. same as credit cards. i gotta swipe 'em through first." 

annabeth handed him her green lotuscash card. he looked at it skeptically. 

"swipe it," annabeth invited. 

he did. his meter machine started rattling. the lights flashed. finally an infinity symbol came up next to the dollar sign. the cigar fell out of the driver's mouth. he looked back at them, his eyes wide. 

"where to in los angeles...uh, your highness?" 

"the santa monica pier." annabeth sat up a little straighter. mel could tell she liked the "your highness" thing. "get us there fast, and you can keep the change." 

maybe she shouldn't have told him that. the cab's speedometer never dipped below ninety-five the whole way through the mojave desert.

on the road, there was plenty of time to talk. percy told them about his recent dream, about some invisible beings talking about an exchange, and he looked pretty concerned about the two. he brought up something about the servant giving the monster a different title other than 'my lord,' but he couldn't remember.

"the silent one?" annabeth suggested. "the rich one? both of those are nicknames for hades." 

"maybe..." percy said, his voice trailing off.

"that throne room sounds like hades's," grover said. "that's the way it's usually described."

he shook his head. "something's wrong. the throne room wasn't the main part of the dream. and the voice from the pit... i don't know. it just didn't feel like a god's voice."

melanie and annabeth's eyes widened. she recalled reading about it. in fact, she read it from one of the books back at camp, and if they were right ... well, let's say that they were in for a real treat.

"what?" percy demanded. 

"oh, nothing," melanie muttered.

"no, it has to be hades," annabeth said. "maybe he sent this thief, this invisible person, to get the master bolt, and something went wrong-"