Chapter 4 - Anisha's Engagement Called Off

Abhimanyu was standing there numb unable to process Anisha's words. It felt someone had put a dagger in his heart and left there to bleed.

****

1 hour back.

The Birla house was beautifully decorated. Abhimanyu was eagerly waiting for his Akshu. The Goenkas arrived and so did the Ahlawats whose son Rishabh Ahlawat was going to get engaged to Anisha.

****

"You are looking extremely beautiful Anisha!" Kriti, Anisha's best friend said controlling her inner emotions.

"Thanks Kriti, but what happened to you? You look dull. Anisha questioned.

"Nothing yaar, work pressure maybe" Kriti brushed off the topic.

****

Kriti bought Anisha downstairs. Everyone looked in awe at her. Wearing pink lehenga, Anisha was looking like an angel. Abhimanyu, Parth and Neil together escorted her to the stage. Kriti stood beside Anisha stealing glances with Rishabh which clearly went unnoticed by all.

Anisha looked at Rishabh and Kriti, "All three of us, went to the same high school and college. We were each other's best friends. And today one is becoming my fiancé. And Kriti, you are being promoted as my soul sister. You both are the best things that happened in my life". saying she hugged them both. Everyone clapped for them.

The rings were brought, Anisha first put the ring in Rishabh's finger. When it was Rishabh's turn, he paused for a few seconds, his hands trembling and finally with all the strength in his heart he said, "I can't do this!".

"I am sorry Anisha, but I love Kriti, she also loves me. Your parents brought the marriage proposal, and without asking me, my parents agreed. I told Kriti to reveal the truth and stop this engagement but she refused for your sake. I can't marry you." saying Rishabh went past her towards Kriti. 

Anisha was shocked by this revelation. Few minutes back she was giggling while being teased with Rishabh's name and now, it all felt like a bad dream.

There was a deafening silence among the guests. "Kriti, please tell the truth. Tell everyone that you love me." Rishabh begged Kriti who stood there stunned.

Before anyone could react, Abhimanyu pulled Rishabh down the stage and slapped him, "You B*stard!! How dare you mess with my sister?"

He punched him in his stomach, grabbed his collar and roared, "If you loved Kriti why did you accept the marriage proposal? In past 1 month, you did tilak rasam with Anisha, went shopping with her, involved in the engagement decorations all the while having feelings for someone else.."

"I tried to accept this relationship but failed." Rishab said.

 Niel and Parth also joined in hitting him. "Stop it Bhaiya!!!" shouted Anisha. She came down the stage, "Nobody will hit Rishab".

"Anisha you stay away, I will kill him today" saying Abhimanyu went towards Rishabh but Anisha stood between the two. "You are not going to do anything bhaiya, because you also did the same thing to Aarohi, not once but twice. First time you broke your engagement with her and the second time, left her at the altar." Anisha said with tears rolling her eyes.

Abhimanyu was stunned to hear this. Anisha continued, "How can you punish Rishabh when you yourself have committed the same mistake. I didn't have the courage that say it that day, but today I say it, YOU WERE WRONG Bhaiya!"

"What are saying Anisha? Have you lost your senses?" Akshara intervened but was stopped by Bade Papa. "It's their family matter, and you have not become a Birla yet. Let them handle."

Abhimanyu's expressions changed. From anger to shock to guilt as somewhere in his heart he knew what Anisha said was right. Anisha held his hand, "You got so hurt when my engagement broke, just imagine what Aarohi must have felt when she was left at the altar. When she went from the temple, I remember seeing her devastated. I have all the support but she is all alone."

Abhimanyu didn't have any words so left from there. Akshara followed him. He went on a deserted road. Akshara kept shouting his name from behind. Finally he stopped, "Akshu please leave me alone to process my emotions."

But Akshara didn't listen, "Being alone doesn't solve anything. Yesterday Kairav and today Anisha. Have they gone mad? Everyone accusing us like we are criminals."

Abhimanyu was in no mood of listening to her. Controlling his anger he said, "Please leave me alone Akshara."

Akshara got pissed by this. She was expecting him to console her and say what they did was right.

"I came here to support and you are repeating 'leave me alone' like a tape recorder. I know Anisha is sad, her engagement broke. We all are upset but accusing you was wrong. You should have scolded her"

"Stop It Akshara" Abhimanyu roared, terrifying Akshara. "Why should I scold her, when every word she spoke was true. You remember Aarohi had said, I will understand her pain when something similar happens to me. Today when Rishabh choose Kriti over Anisha, I felt it." 

Akshara felt the ground slipping beneath her floor. She shouted, "Great! Only you were left to praise her highness Aarohi. If you are so concerned for her then why did you warn me to commit suicide if I don't propose you. What's your problem?"

Abhimanyu could no longer control his anger, "You are my problem Akshara. I said a simple thing, that I want to be alone to process my thoughts. In relationship, personal space is important. You are a music therapist, you should know, every human processes emotions differently. Not everyone is comfortable speaking about it. In this one month you could not understand me." saying he left from there.

Akshara was numb unable to process. Vansh bhaiya came looking for her and took her home. She was sad, no she was furious at everyone, at herself and most importantly at Abhimanyu. 'How can he speak so rudely. Unless he apologises I will not talk to him' she thought.

***

In the evening, Akshara was sitting in the hall, checking her phone for Abhimanyu's message when the door bell rang. She thought it would be Abhi and so ran to open it. It was courier boy. "Ma'am these yellow roses, sorry card and dark chocolate pastry for you." 

Akshara was surprised. For one Abhimanyu had apologised and two, she didn't remember mentioning her favourite flower to him. But in the excitement, she didn't care. When she sat on the sofa opening sorry card, someone from behind came and closed her eyes. Before she could say 'Abhi', the person said, "SURPRISE!" And she froze. It was not Abhimanyu.

********

Author's Note - How was the chapter? Do vote and comment