𝐓𝐖𝐎

LIKE the previous morning, the wind is relentless in its attacks the way it yells, screams, and hollers at Jake. But he has protection this time, a pastel green scarf and a woolen coat. He hums to himself as he makes his way to that familiar path, a song he heard the man listening to before he slipped into sleep.

His feet carry him down the familiar path and he prays that the man from yesterday is there, because if he isn't then Jake has just made what is probably one of the dumbest decisions ever. The shriveled tree slowly comes into view the farther he walks, but Jake's eyes are only trained on the space underneath the bare branches.

A body sits there, legs crossed at the ankle and a book in their hands. The sight of them makes Jake grin and he makes his steps louder on purpose, hoping to catch the attention of who he assumes is pretty boy. When he stands just ten feet away the man looks up, a blinding smile on his lips as he makes eye contact with Jake. He slips his book closed around one of his fingers and lifts his free hand in a wave.

"Hi."

Jake grins, rocking on the balls of his feet. "Hey."

Like he's been doing it for years and not just a single day, the man scoots over to make room for Jake, only looking up when he's sure there's enough space for Jake to rest comfortably against his side. Jake smiles, taking smaller and quieter steps forward this time around.

"Thank you." Jake says softly as he takes the seat next to him. Now that's he's closer, he notices that pretty boy's headphones are different today. Instead of the beats from yesterday, they're wired and the cord protrudes from somewhere in his pocket.

Jake stares, tugging at his bottom lip before pointing to his ear. "What song are you listening to?"

Pretty boy looks over at him, tugging one of the earphones out of his ear. "Oh, it's just a playlist of some of my favorites."

Jake nods. "Cool."

"Wanna listen together?"

Jake pauses and stares at him in shock. When pretty boy smiles at him he nods dumbly, grabbing at the earphone. "Sure."

Pretty boy hums, watching intently as Jake presses the earphone into his ear. He didn't recognize the song playing but the melody was nice and comforting. He smiled softly, letting his head drop against the pretty boy's shoulder. Pretty boy looks down at him, wide bambi eyes dark in the moonlight.

"Are you going to fall asleep again?"

Jake shrugs, shifting until he is pressed farther in the man's warmth. "It's a possibility."

Pretty boy chuckles, casting one last glance at him before looking back at his book. Jake grins, letting his eyes slip closed. It's not that he wants to fall asleep, it's just that he's pressed against a warm and pretty boy who's willing to let Jake rest against him and share his music with him.

❁❁❁

Jake doesn't know when he fell asleep, but what he does know is that waking up to a pretty boy shoving their face into his is probably the best thing that's happened to him. He gasps in surprise, eyes wide as pretty boy laughs at him from behind his hand.

"You sleep pretty hard. I've been trying to wake you for a while."

Jake chuckles nervously, rubbing his hand over the back of his neck. Pretty boy bites at his lip, obviously trying to hold back more laughter. He sticks his hand out and grasps Jake's, pulling him up to his feet.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning then? At the same time?"

Jake gaped at the man, watching as he gave him one last smile before turning on his heel and beginning to make his way down the path. Jake regains his composure, cupping his hands around his mouth to call out to him.

"Yes! I'll be here!"

Pretty boy lifts his hand in a backwards wave, a clear sign that he had heard Jake and it makes him smile. He turns on his heel and begins making his way back home, his lips pulled up into a giddy smile.