Chapter 9: Ghosts of Harlan's Past

Time flew very slow for Harlan. It was as though everything was moving in slow-mo.

Eda slowly fell down to the ground, and the woman took one look at Eda, then at Harlan, before jumping off the building with the grappling hook she planted.

Harlan: Eda? EDA!

Harlan got up and ran to Eda. He took off his coat and carried Eda into arms.

Harlan: Eda, Eda... stay with me.

Harlan looks at Eda's shirt to see where the blood is coming from. Harlan puts his coat on the blood for pressure.

Harlan: Just breath Eda. Breath.

Eda (weakly): Harlan...

Harlan rips Eda's shirt, expecting to see a deep and fatal bullet wound, but instead, just sees blood spilling from a scrape wound. Harlan looks at Eda.

Eda (weakly): I'm fine, Harlan. I'm fine,

Harlan looks at Eda, then looks down at his hands. His bloody red hands. Harlan takes one look at them and suddenly, his whole body shakes. Harlan's heart started beating violently, blood being pumped around his body faster than he has ever run, faster than it ever has before. Harlan violently pushed himself away from Eda, and ran to the ledge of the building looking down. His breaths were so heavy that it echoed in his ear. He was too shaken to say anything. Past memories came flooding to him, haunting him.

No... no... not this. Not this again.

Again.

Tears started uncontrollably flowing out of Harlan's eyes as he slowly lowered himself, and sat down, still shaking, terrified... crying. Eda watched as she saw Harlan like this. Never in a million years would she have thought she would see him like this.

This vulnerable.

_.-

Harlan and Eda didn't say a word to each other on the ride back. Both of them kept quiet. Eventually, they reached Harlan's safe house. Once they arrived, Harlan immediately left Eda and rushed in. Eda followed Harlan in, and as she went in the safe house, found Harlan with a bottle of beer, with an already empty bottle beside him. Beside the bottle, Eda notices two vials. One containing the green serum, and the other containing the blue one.

Eda: Holy shit.

Eda walked to the vials and picked one up.

Eda: How'd you-

Harlan: Grabbed one in the factory. Before Baker and Montgomery showed up.

Eda: Baker and who?

Harlan pointed to the wall of pictures of people pinned. Eda walked to see the photos of Robbie and Thena pinned.

Harlan: Robbie Baker and Thena Montgomery.

Eda: You know them?

Harlan: I encountered them both. First encountered Baker eight months ago. He was on a mission I had in Europe, then I had to stop him from getting the Hand of God.

Eda: The hand of god?

Harlan: A black market item which contained a virus that could control every nuclear missile in the world. I swear he was missing a hand though.

Eda: And the girl?

Harlan: Thena Montgomery. First encountered her in my days as a newbie agent back in 1999 when May and I-...

Harlan stopped at the mention of May. Eda noticed this.

Eda: May? Who's May?

Harlan: She is... was... a friend.

Eda: Was? What happened?

Harlan turned his back on Eda and fought back tears.

Harlan: She's gone. She died.

Harlan looked down at his hands to see the files on May, Clair and Audrey on the table. Suddenly, his hands started to shake. Harlan noticed the remaining blood stains on his hands. Words echoed in his head, filling his hearing.

"Isn't it more lucky that I just so happen to be stationed here?"

"I look at your eyes and I see someone else. Someone haunted by his past. By his actions. I see someone who's life is full of stitches and burns.

"Harlan, please... leave. Run."

"LIKE HOW YOU TRUSTED HER WITH HANNAH AND NOT ME?"

Harlan closes his eyes, trying to shut the memories out, but the voices are too strong. Eda notices as his fists tighten.

Eda: Hey... you alright?

"I'm sorry..."

"Don't die there, okay?"

"DID ALL OF THIS MEAN NOTHING TO YOU?!"

"You, Harlan Brandle... you were the best mistake I ever made"

"Forgive yourself Harlan."

"Forgive yourself."

In a mix of rage, guilt, and pain, Harlan slams the table with his fist, causing Eda to jump. Harlan's breathing just got heavier, as the tears were too strong to hold back. Harlan turned to Eda.

Harlan: Get out of here.

Eda: What?

Harlan: Get out, Eda.

Eda: No. Why?

Harlan: You nearly died tonight.

Eda: Yeah, so?

Harlan: I can't risk you- I can't risk losing another one.

Eda looks at Harlan.

Eda: Look... I am not your responsibility okay? I got caught in all this, whether you like it or not I AM a part of this. I understand the risks in this and-

Harlan: NO! I'm not gonna let you. Not again.

Harlan turns away from Eda.

Harlan: Go home, Eda.

Eda gives Harlan one look, one last heartbroken look, and she walks out. As soon as Eda leaves, Harlan turns to face where Eda used to stand, wondering about the decision he made.