Chapter 1: Who I Am

"Just a few minutes left..." Eda thought.

Eda nervously watched the minutes and seconds on the clock slowly, passing by slowly. In just a few minutes they would be out of class and into their Christmas break. Few minutes till break, a few days till Christmas, that was all keeping Eda sane.

Eda looked away from the clock to glance at her teacher, Ms Marilyn, who was giving final lectures before the class school bell rings and...

RINGGGGGGGGGG

Eda jumped on her seat, surprised. She looked around to see students starting to pack their bags.

Ms Marilyn: Wait, class, wait! GUYS!

All the students stopped.

Ms Marilyn: ...And gals. Look, I know we are all excited for our Christmas Break... but before you go, I have one thing in my wishlist.

Student: Is it a new job, Ms Marilyn?

The students laughed.

Ms. Marilyn: Okay, good one, Rilee.

Ms Marilyn brought out portfolios. She showed the class the one on the top.

Ms Marilyn: This was by my class last year.

She then pointed at the others as she picked up her chalk and started writing on the blackboard.

Ms Marilyn: And these were by the ones before them. You get the gist. Basically... over the Christmas Break, I had them write me a write-up. The topic?

Ms Marilyn dropped the chalk to reveal the board: Who Am I?

Ms. Marilyn: Normally, I would ask my class to write me a paper on this topic. Who am I? How do I see myself? But after years of reading the same thing... I want something new.

Ms Marilyn erases the "Who Am I?" on the blackboard, picks up her chalk once more and continues writing.

Ms Marilyn: For you... I want you all to answer this question.

Ms Marilyn drops the chalk and moves away from the blackboard to reveal the new prompt.

Who I Want To Be.

Ms Marilyn: For this Christmas Break, I want you all to write me a paper. I don't care how long or how short. I want you to write about who you want to be. Who you see yourself as in this life, who you aspire to be. Are we clear?

Most of the students just groaned a "yes". Ms Marilyn smiled.

Ms Marilyn: Good... have a good Christmas Break! Get outta here.

_.-

Lila: Hey Eda, so I assume you're still game tonight?

Eda, a twenty-two year old girl, blonde hair, with some faded red dye turned to face her friend.

Eda: Yeah, of course I would be. Why wouldn't I?

Lila: Just making sure.

Eda smiled as she closed her locker and the two best friends started to walk away.

Eda: Who else are going?

Lila: Well... we got Ari, Rilee... you... me... we got the whole gang.

Eda: Brilliant!

Eda and Lila walk down the hallway, and out the school, down the sidewalks. Streets full of cars, people going home.

Eda: So this essay Ms Marilyn assigned to us...

Lila: Oh don't worry, I got it all under con-

Eda: You're just gonna cram it the night before we come back aren't you.

Lila: Okay fine yes I was going to.

Eda laughed.

Lila: Don't.

Eda: Don't what?

Lila: Please, I know Eda Clement okay? Top of class, overachiever... twenty-paged essay.

Eda: Okay to be fair I never wrote one that was twenty pages.

Lila: Yet.

Eda: Yet.

Lila and Eda laughed.

Lila: So... shall we get there before everyone?

Eda: Nah it's fine... I wanna stop by home first.

Lila looked at Eda, surprised.

Lila: Oh shit, he's back?

Eda: Yeah.

Lila: I see.

Eda: Yeah.

Lila smiled.

Lila: See you later then, kanka.

Eda: Seni çok seviyorum, kanka!

Eda and Lila hug one last time before Eda walks away, towards home.

_.-

Eda got off the subway and walked a few miles before she reached her big home. Eda fixed her hair and adjusted her bag before walking in.

As Eda walked in the luxurious home, she dropped her bags, took off her shoes and walked to the kitchen.

Eda: Dad! I'm home!

Cletus Clement, Eda's father, came out to hug his daughter.

Cletus: Hey Eda.

Eda: Hey Dad.

Cletus: How was school kiddo?

Eda: Dad c'mon... you know it isn't really school... it's college. Plus, I'm not really a kid anymore.

Cletus: Awe Eda, you know you will always be a kid to me.

Eda smiled.

Eda: How was work today?

Cletus: Oh, I got the day off.

Eda: The day off?

Cletus: Yeah, can you believe it?

Eda waked to the refrigerator, took out a bottle of soda, opened it, and took a sip. She then closed the refrigerator.

Eda: So dad... the Christmas party.

Cletus: What about it, hun?

Cletus did a spit-take on his coffee.

Cletus: Jesus... is that today?

Eda: Yeah.

Cletus: Shit... I forgot to-

Eda: Dad, we still got time don't worry.

Eda checked her watch.

Eda: Well... two hours.

Cletus: You go there first.

Eda: Sorry?

Cletus: You go there first. I'll follow. I just got some shit to finish.

Eda: No c'mon Dad... we could-

Cletus: Eda, it's fine. I'm gonna be late. If we're both late... well... you know.

Eda smiled.

Eda: Okay, Dad.

Eda smiled one last time before walking to her room to change.