Double-Shepherd

Derek took his place at the head of the patient, his breathing slow and gaze focused. On either side of him were Mary and Izzie, waiting for the neurosurgeon's instructions. Finally, Derek's voice cut through the quiet, "Alright, everybody, it's a beautiful day to save lives. Let's have some fun." His tone was light, but his eyes were focused.

Derek, in his element, began the surgery, his hands steady and precise. He was not just a surgeon that day; he was also a teacher. "Dr. Stevens, can you explain the significance of the dura mater in this procedure?" he asked, his voice calm but authoritative.

Izzie responded confidently, "The dura mater is the outermost layer of the meninges. Its integrity is crucial to protect the brain during surgery."

"Good," Derek nodded. He then turned to Mary, "Dr. Shepherd, what are the potential risks associated with manipulating the brain tissue in this area?"

Mary, her focus unwavering, answered, "There's a risk of damaging the surrounding brain tissue, leading to potential neurological deficits, depending on the area being operated on."

"Excellent," Derek said, a hint of pride in his voice. He continued to quiz them, alternating between the two residents.

"Stevens, what would be your approach if we encounter unexpected bleeding?"

Izzie hesitated for a moment before replying, "I would apply gentle pressure and use bipolar coagulation to control the bleeding, ensuring minimal damage to the surrounding tissue, Derek."

"Good, but remember, it's Dr. Shepherd in the OR," he turned towards his sister, "how do we ensure the patient's brain function is not adversely affected during this operation, Shepherd?"

Mary answered promptly, "By monitoring neurological signs and using intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring to track the patient's brain activity."

Derek nodded, satisfied with their responses. As the surgery progressed, he continued his impromptu quiz, testing their knowledge and decision-making skills. "Stevens, if we find a tumor adhering to critical brain structures, what would be your course of action?"

Her confidence growing, Izzie replied, "I would carefully dissect around the tumor, preserving as much healthy tissue as possible, and consider leaving a small part of the tumor if it's too risky to remove."

"Exactly. Shepherd, what immediate steps should we take in the case of a brain swelling?"

Mary's response was quick, "We should administer mannitol to reduce the swelling and consider decompressive craniectomy if necessary."

As the surgery progressed, Derek's role as a mentor and educator became even more pronounced. His questions, though evenly distributed, seemed to weigh differently on the two residents.

"Let's see... Stevens, can you outline the steps for managing cerebral edema during surgery?" Derek's voice was patient yet expectant.

Izzie paused, searching for the right words. "Well, we can administer hypertonic saline, and, uh, monitor intracranial pressure," she replied, her voice lacking certainty.

Derek nodded encouragingly. "Yes, but don't forget about positioning the patient to optimize venous drainage. Administration of saline would be futile otherwise." He offered a supportive smile, trying not to dent her confidence.

Turning to Mary, he posed a more challenging question. "Okay, Shepherd, explain the Broca's area's role in brain function and its significance in this procedure."

The younger resident took a moment to think before responding, "Broca's area is involved in speech production. Damage here during surgery could impair the patient's ability to speak, causing Broca's aphasia. We must be careful to avoid it."