Game Night

In the bustling heart of Seattle, within the warm walls of the Shepherd household, the essence of family and laughter blended into a harmonious melody. It was family game night, a rare occasion of unwinding and togetherness for the renowned neurosurgeon Derek Shepherd, his brother in all but blood, the charming plastic surgeon Mark Sloan, Derek's wife Meredith Grey, Mark's wife Lexie Grey, the prodigious second-year resident Mary Shepherd, and her boyfriend, Jackson Avery.

The night commenced with Twister, a game that brought forth bouts of laughter and playful competitiveness. The living room was a canvas of colorful spots and tangled limbs. Mary, agile and quick-witted, navigated the mat with the grace of a dancer (albeit a very clumsy one), while Derek and Meredith displayed teamwork honed by years of marriage. Mark, ever the charmer, turned each move into a spectacle, eliciting laughter with his exaggerated groans.

Jackson, attempting a particularly challenging pose, slipped and landed atop Mark. The room erupted in laughter as Mark groaned jokingly, "Hey, Mary, I think your boyfriend's cheating on you with me!"

Mary rolled her eyes playfully, retorting, "Well, he has excellent taste, then!"

The game continued amidst chuckles and light-hearted teasing, with each member of the pseudo-family showcasing their flexibility and sense of humor. As they moved to the couches for a well-deserved break, the atmosphere was light, filled with the warmth of familial love.

Derek handed Mary a glass of apple juice, winking. "Here's your hardcore drink, kiddo."

Mary accepted it with a mock salute. "Watch out, I might just out-party all of you with this wild choice."

As they settled in, Mark proposed a quiz game. "Let's test the residents' knowledge, shall we? The one with the lowest points at the end has to make breakfast tomorrow."

Mary, laughing, knowing exactly why Mark was proposing the idea, "And this would not, by chance, have anything to do with the fact that it is your turn to make breakfast tomorrow?"

The only response she got was a subtle middle finger from the plastic surgeon.

The first round of questions began, with Derek posing intricate neurosurgical queries, while Mark focused on plastic surgery. Mary, her mind a repository of medical knowledge, answered each question with confidence - she also had the added advantage of sobriety.

Derek started with a more complex neurosurgical question, "Describe the functional connectivity between Broca's area and Wernicke's area in the context of language processing."

"Broca's area is involved in language production and is connected to Wernicke's area, which is involved in language comprehension, via the arcuate fasciculus. This neural pathway facilitates coordinated language processing," Mary replied with precision.

Derek nodded, smiling, "Point for the kid!"

Mark rolled his eyes but asked his question, "Discuss the indications for blepharoplasty beyond cosmetic enhancement, including its role in improving visual field deficits."

This time, it was Meredith who answered. "Blepharoplasty can be performed for functional reasons, such as removing excess skin that obstructs the peripheral vision, commonly seen in conditions like dermatochalasis. This surgical intervention not only improves aesthetic appearance but also enhances the patient's visual field."

Mark nodded, tallying up his sister-in-law's point. Meredith high-fived Mary, while Jackson and Lexie threw a pillow at the other two. By the end of the third round, Mary was tied with Meredith for first, with Lexie and Jackson, more than a little tipsy, tied for last.

"Final round - this one is worth double points. Shout out the answers, and reminder - the loser cooks tomorrow," Mark smiled, enjoying the competition.