Tattoo

The atmosphere in the Shepherd household was thick with anticipation, a palpable energy that hung in the air like a storm brewing on the horizon. The sprawling Seattle home, shared by Derek, Mary, and Mark, was usually filled with warmth and laughter. However, the aftermath of a recent argument had cast a dark cloud over their familial bonds.

Even the strongest bonds could be strained, and the recent disagreement between Derek and Mary had left the household in disarray. The source of the conflict was seemingly trivial – Mary's decision to get a tattoo without informing Derek. For the seasoned neurosurgeon, this act was a breach of trust, a violation of the unspoken code that had always governed their relationship.

Two days had passed since the argument erupted, and the wounds remained fresh. Mark, the mediator in their family, had attempted to bridge the gap between the siblings, but both were equally stubborn. The tension reached its peak during a family dinner, a time when they usually found solace in each other's company.

As the clinking of cutlery against plates filled the dining room, Derek couldn't resist the opportunity to take a stab at Mary. "You know, tattoos are a permanent reminder of poor decisions," he remarked casually, his eyes fixed on Mary. The room fell silent for a moment.

Meredith exchanged a concerned glance with Mark. Sensing the impending storm, Mark tried to defuse the situation. "Derek, let it go. It's just a tattoo," he urged, casting a warning look at Mary, who remained silent, her eyes locked with her eldest brother's.

But Derek, fueled by unresolved anger, persisted. "Maybe some people should think before making impulsive decisions," he retorted, his words a direct hit aimed at Mary. The young resident clenched her jaw, determined not to let her brother's words get to her. She stabbed the vegetables on her plate with poorly concealed irritation.

The dinner table became a battleground of passive-aggressive comments, escalating with each exchange. Finally, unable to contain herself, Mary shot back, "You know what, Derek? Just fuck off!" The words hung in the air, a declaration of war that shattered the fragile peace.

Lexie exchanged a look with Meredith, and both women silently retreated from the brewing storm, leaving the three Shepherd siblings to confront their issues head-on.

The dining room transformed into an arena for a verbal duel, the siblings shouting accusations and grievances at each other. The heated exchange reached a tipping point when physicality entered the equation. Pushing and shoving ensued, and Mary, stumbling backward, nearly collided with the countertop.

In a split second, Mark moved with lightning speed. He caught Mary just in time, his strong arms preventing her from hitting her head on the unforgiving surface. Mark, his face a mask of disappointment and frustration, intervened decisively. With a firm grip on Derek's arm, he forcibly guided him to the couch, the older brother begrudgingly taking his seat.

Turning his attention to Mary, Mark gently pushed her into an armchair, his expression softening as he met her troubled gaze. Once filled with the echoes of anger, the room fell into an uneasy silence. Mark took a deep breath, his eyes shifting between the siblings.

"This ends now," Mark declared, his voice cutting through the tension. The air hung thick with anticipation as Mark made a silent but powerful statement by sliding his belt out of the loops of his jeans. Mary felt a sudden wave of humility wash over her. The message was clear: it was time to stop arguing.

However, the sight of Mark's belt had a completely different effect on Derek. The older Shepherd sibling's bitterness flared, his jaw clenching as he watched Mark take control of the situation. In his frustration, Derek decided he had had enough. Without uttering a word, he stood up abruptly, pushing his chair back with a screech against the floor, making a move to leave, his gaze cold and determined.