Resident Arguments

In the bustling corridors of Seattle Grace Hospital, amidst the symphony of heart monitors and the rush of medical personnel, a tension simmered between two of the hospital's most promising young residents. Mary Shepherd, a nineteen-year-old prodigy in her second year, walked with a brisk pace, her white coat flapping behind her. Her dark hair was pulled back into a practical bun, a few strands defiantly framing her focused, youthful face. Mary's heritage, being the younger sister of renowned neurosurgeon Derek Shepherd and plastic surgeon Mark Sloan-Shepherd, was no secret, yet she bore it with a mix of pride and a relentless drive to prove herself.

Mary's journey had been far from typical. She was just a baby when her father died, leaving her in the care of her older brothers and mother, Carolyn. Tragically, when she was eight, Carolyn passed away, thrusting Derek and Mark into the roles of guardians. Derek, then 26, and Mark, 24, had raised her with all the love and responsibility of parents. Mark, who wasn't a Shepherd by blood but in every other sense, shared a bond with Mary and Derek that transcended genetics. Raised by Carolyn Shepherd after his own parents turned him away, Mark was as much a brother to Mary as Derek.

Derek, now married to Meredith Grey, and Mark, engaged to Lexie Grey, had created a unique family unit. All five lived together, blurring the lines between professional and personal lives. They were a testament to the strength of bonds forged through shared trials and triumphs, both in and out of the operating room.

Mary's resolve was palpable as she moved through the hospital. Her intelligence and skill had earned her the respect of many, but it also brought out envy and rivalry, particularly from Steve, another second-year resident. Steve's jealousy was an open secret, often manifesting in snide remarks about her age. Recently, their professional disagreements had escalated, catching the attention of none other than the chief resident, Miranda Bailey.

On this particular day, the tension reached a boiling point. Steve, with his taller stature and a sneer that rarely left his face, confronted Mary in the hallway. His voice dripped with condescension as he belittled her for missing a diagnosis.

Mary, her hands clenched into fists at her sides, retorted with a sharpness that matched her intellect. "You asked me for a consult and then neglected to tell me that she had high ALT levels! You did not even think to mention that!" she argued, her voice a mix of annoyance and disbelief.

Steve's smug expression didn't waver. "Well, if you did not bother to consider liver disease..." he trailed off, his tone suggesting that it was an oversight only a novice would make.

Her eyes narrowed, and she stepped closer, her voice defensive but accurate. "I did not because you told me it was a head trauma with a GCS of nine. My priority was a head CT, which your underdeveloped brain could not think of."

Steve's response was louder, meant to be overheard. "You know what, maybe if you were a little older, you would catch the diagnosis in time." He turned on his heel and strode away, leaving Mary standing in the hallway, seething with frustration.

At that moment, Bailey approached. The chief resident's demeanor was stern, her disappointment in the unprofessional behavior evident. "What was that, Shepherd?" she demanded.

Mary, still flustered from the encounter, tried to maintain her composure. "I... I have it under control," she stammered.

Bailey scoffed, her tone unforgiving. "Under control? You are arguing in hallways."

Mary, usually composed, bristled under the criticism. "Well, it's a work in progress but..."

Bailey cut her off, her voice stern. "No buts, Shepherd! Get it together!"

Mary, feeling a mix of shame and frustration, nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

As Bailey walked away, Mary's shoulders slumped slightly, the weight of the confrontation and the reprimand pressing down on her. It was then that Derek, who had overheard the exchange, approached her. His concern was evident in his eyes, but his tone was firm, echoing Bailey's disappointment.