Pregnancy Scare

The morning sun spilled softly through the sheer curtains of the Shepherd-Grey residence, casting a warm, golden hue across the bustling household. The air was alive with the sounds of laughter, playful banter, and the clatter of breakfast being prepared, creating a symphony of domestic bliss.

In the kitchen, Mary stood by the stove, expertly flipping eggs in a sizzling pan. Her long hair was tied back in a casual ponytail, revealing a face marked by the same determination and focus that shone in the eyes of her brothers. Despite her concentration, there was an occasional wince that creased her features, subtle but noticeable to an observant eye.

Meanwhile, the living room was a whirlwind of activity. Derek, already dressed in his scrubs, sat on the sofa, lacing up his shoes with practiced efficiency. His wife, Meredith, busied herself gathering her things, her movements a dance of practiced routine. Mark lounged on an armchair, a mischievous glint in his eyes as he observed the younger residents of the house with amusement. Mary's recent relationship with Jackson was the cause of this day's banter.

"So, Jackson, planning on making a habit of these sleepovers?" Derek teased, raising an eyebrow at Jackson Avery, who was hastily buttoning up his shirt, his cheeks tinting with a slight blush.

Jackson, a bit flustered but maintaining his composure, chuckled nervously. "Well, you know, just trying to make the most of my residency and, uh, the excellent company," he added with a half-smile, trying to deflect the teasing.

Mark joined in, his smirk widening. "And our hospitality, apparently," he said, winking at Jackson. "But hey, make yourself at home. Just, you know, maybe invest in your own cereal."

Meredith's voice chimed from the hallway, her tone light and teasing. "Don't give him too hard a time, guys. He's practically family now," she said, emerging into the living room with her bag over her shoulder, ready to head out.

Mary, hearing the laughter and banter, emerged from the kitchen, a playful smile on her lips. She leaned against the doorframe, a plate of eggs in hand. "Oh, come on, Derek. You're just jealous you're not the young, handsome resident anymore," she teased, her eyes sparkling with humor.

Derek laughed, a deep, hearty sound that filled the room. "I'll let you have that title, Jackson. God knows, with the hours we work, someone should enjoy their youth."

As the laughter subsided, Mark added his part, his tone light but with a hint of seriousness. "Just remember, Mary, Derek's old-fashioned. No sex until marriage, right, Derek?" he said, glancing at his brother.

Derek rolled his eyes, about to respond, when Lexie, Mark's girlfriend, chimed in with a quick quip. "Then maybe you should start sleeping alone, Mark," she said, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

Mark's eyes widened comically, and he opened his mouth to retort but was cut off by a round of laughter from everyone in the room. "Okay, okay, no more lectures!" he conceded, throwing his hands up in mock surrender.

In the midst of the laughter, Jackson, trying to regain some dignity, excused himself to Mary's room to finish getting ready. He slipped away, a smile still playing on his lips at the friendly teasing.

Back in the kitchen, the atmosphere was quieter, a stark contrast to the lively living room. Mary poured herself a cup of coffee, her movements graceful yet efficient. As she took her first sip, Jackson sneaked up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and murmuring a soft "good morning."

Startled, Mary turned, a surprised smile on her face, but it quickly faded as she winced slightly, her hand subconsciously moving to her abdomen. Jackson, noticing her discomfort, looked at her with concern. "You okay?" he asked, his voice low and filled with worry.