I'm Not a Machine.

The fluorescent lights of the trauma room at Seattle Grace Hospital hummed steadily, casting a clinical glow over the urgent scene unfolding within.  In the room with Mary was Dr. Teddy Altman, her mentor in cardiothoracic surgery, and the patient, Henry, Teddy's husband. Teddy's usually composed demeanor was strained, her eyes betraying a deep-seated fear for Henry, who had come into the ER coughing up blood. 

"Okay, try and breathe for me," Mary instructed Henry.

Henry, lying on the gurney, struggled to comply, his breaths coming in short, labored gasps. "I'm trying," he managed to say, his voice weak.

Teddy, standing beside Mary, tried to keep her emotions in check. Mary's interest in cardiothoracic surgery had flourished under Teddy's mentorship. Her entire second year of residency, spent under Teddy's guidance, had seen her display remarkable skill, reminiscent of her brothers. 

"You're gonna be okay," Mary reassured Henry, her voice steady, even as she turned to address the nurse. "Let's get an IV line in."

At that moment, Owen entered the trauma room. His presence was commanding, and his gaze quickly assessed the situation. "Okay, and where are the X-rays? Get them in here, stat," he ordered.

Teddy, despite her personal connection to Henry, attempted to contribute clinically. "He, uh, hasn't been having trouble with his, uh, V.H.L.," she started, her voice faltering as she fought to keep her professional and personal feelings separate. She paused, taking a moment to steady her breath.

Mary, focusing on Henry, asked, "Okay, and when was your last C.T.?"

"It was, uh, it was June," Teddy responded for him, her voice gaining a bit more strength. "Dr. Webber did a full workup."

"Okay, then let's page Dr. Webber, please," Mary requested, turning to a nearby nurse who immediately moved to carry out the instruction.

"Right away, Dr. Shepherd." The nurse said.

Owen, meanwhile, was attempting to put in an IV line. "His veins are shot. Let's go ahead and put in a central line," he decided, turning to Henry. "We're gonna put a line in so we can give you IV fluids. And once we get the x-ray, we should have a better idea of what's going on." Teddy moved forward, instinctively trying to help, but Owen reassured her, "We got him. Okay? You need to step back, Teddy."

Teddy, recognizing the truth in Owen's words, stepped back, allowing the team to work. "Yeah. Yeah. All right," she acquiesced, though the words did nothing to help her anxiety.

Soon enough, Richard arrived and began examining Henry, immediately proposing a course of action. "Call up to radiology. Tell them we're on our way up to get a CT," he instructed.

Teddy interjected. "Screw CT And go straight to the bronchoscope. You need to find out what is down there," she urged, her voice laced with personal urgency.

Owen, however, remained firm as he addressed Teddy. "No. A CT will clarify what we're dealing with. It won't delay anything, and you're not his doctor. Richard is."

Henry, sensing the rising tension and attempting to lighten the mood, joked despite his discomfort. "I hear Richard's good. I mean, I-I don't know. I'm new around here," he said with a wheezy chuckle. He then pointed to Teddy, a faint smile on his lips. "She doesn't like it when I'm in the hospital. Makes you wonder why she married a guy with chronic illness."

Teddy, managing a weak smile in response to her husband's humor, replied, "Because, apparently, I am a masochist." Her gaze then shifted to Mary. "I'm coming to C.T."

Mary responded affirmatively, knowing that arguing would not benefit anyone. "I wouldn't have it any other way." 

--