Chapter 40 - A dangerous darkness

There are quite a few wild animals in the arena. Everyone should have noticed this on the first day. In addition to a healthy bear population, one could also observe moose, foxes and of course lots of smaller mammals.

However, the danger that is now creeping up on the Careers' camp in the protective darkness of the night is not a creation of nature. A long time ago, the people of the Capitol began to play God and use the creatures of the earth that have survived to this day to turn their fantasies into reality in an act of pure madness.

Muttations, they are called. Artificially created, specifically modified animal beings. Some still look quite similar to what they once were, differing only in their behavior or abilities. Others are almost grotesquely deformed or resemble the appearance of a chimera. Anything in between is possible and sometimes a single one of these creatures is enough to spell the end for several people at once.

Now a whole group of feline figures creeps on silent paws over the cold stone, completely noiseless, down from the mountain, where the campfire of the six unsuspecting tributes lights up the night. Thanks to the thousands of cameras spread throughout the arena, only the spectators are able to detect their presence and yet so far only their large shadowy outlines can be made out, moving nimbly and quickly between the rocks and the few trees, almost invisible.

'Uhh, well this promises to be interesting,' Caesar Flickerman's voice announces. 'Looks like the Gamemakers have been creative again.'

'Oh, they always are. Although I have to admit that they've outdone themselves this year,' replies Claudius Templesmith with a satisfied grin. Behind them appears a hologram model of a large cat of prey, the likes of which Rhea has never seen in any book. 'These beauties here are Crescent-claw Cougars, specially designed for these Games. They are based on the mountain lion, which is native to such areas. Even without genetic modification, these animals can run damn fast and jump up to 5 meters high.'

'The genetic modifications have made them bigger and stronger, and their black coat color, which differs from the rather light coloration of their predecessor species, makes them perfectly adapted night predators. Their name comes not only from the fact that they like to hunt by moonlight, but above all from their sickle-shaped claws and fangs. The design is based on the lore of a long-extinct species, so it's a kind of evolution by regression, extremely clever.'

On a second smaller holo-model in front of him, you can see exactly how the shape of an ordinary mountain lion is transformed into that of a larger, more massive cat of prey. The huge sickle-shaped fangs that protrude from the sides of the mouth make it immediately clear that these creatures are not to be trifled with. The claws are no less menacing, and retractable so that the large paws make no noise on the stony ground as they approach their prey.

'Yes, yes, everyone loves cats. But these little darlings you'd rather not have lying on your couch, wouldn't you?' Caesar laughs into his microphone.

Templesmith agrees and replies with equal amusement, 'No, except maybe to get rid of uninvited guests. A burglar or perhaps the wife's secret lover?' The two of them burst out laughing.

'Careful, don't let anyone take that to heart,' Caesar jokes with a grin. 'Well, those of you who feel addressed now better take a good look, because if this becomes a new trend, you'll soon find out what's in store for you.'

Of the five people present in the small private viewing room, no one is really paying attention to what the two are saying. Instead, all eyes are fixed on what is happening in the arena.

The Careers have just finished their dinner and stowed away their supplies. Now they are sitting together around their campfire, which keeps them warm on the cold evenings. As there are six of them and they are all in good shape, they can afford to keep it burning in the dark. If another tribute were to be lured by it, it would not be a danger to them in the group but would merely save them the tedious search. At night, they take turns keeping watch.