Chapter 9 - The color of the unknown

When Finnick enters Rhea's office on Thursday afternoon, he is more rested than he had ever been during his visits to the Capitol. Rhea's fierce insistence on her healing methods had meant that, for the very first time since this occupation was forced upon him, he had spent a full six days at the Capitol without having to undress in front of a single Capitolite. Of course, no one but him was thrilled by this, but his mission to win Rhea over comes from the very top and therefore still stands above the super-rich who lust after him. Those in charge in the background had come up with some story, some important project he was supposedly working on that was taking up all his time, very vague and very secret. Any reasonable person would realize that all this is obviously just an excuse, but after he had used all his charm in the interview with Caesar Flickerman two days ago, most people seem to have taken the bait. The others seemed to assume that they were trying to cover up some more intimate private affair of his.

Less than an hour later, a million rumors were circulating about what the most eligible bachelor in the Capitol might be up to. There was everything from the assumption that he was scheduled for a film production to the suggestion that he was expecting a child from one of his playmates and planning to start a family in the Capitol. The very thought was absolutely horrifying, but fortunately Snow personally would never let it get that far. After all, it would ruin the business he had built around Finnick.

He realizes that the luxury he has experienced over the past week will come to an end with his next vistit to the Capitol, afer his injury is all healed, but still, it has been a welcome respite after all the stress he has endured. Finnick has actually spent a healthy amount of time sleeping over the past few days, an indulgence he is usually never afforded. Even the nightmares occurred less frequently than usual, presumably because the knowledge that no one would be getting too close to him anytime soon made him much less tense than usual.

His mood is much better than the last time he visited Rhea's workplace. Basically he should thank her on his knees, but he doesn't want to go that far. Instead, he makes sure to be on time today. Last time he didn't exactly endear himself to her, he would have to fix that now. Snow will want to see results from him at some point, and since he returns to district 4 tomorrow, he won't get to really approach Rhea until his next visit to the Capitol. But to do that, he needs to at least mend fences today.

This is his declared goal as he stands in front of the reception counter fifteen minutes before the appointed time and throws his signature smile at the pretty young woman behind it. The moment she looks up at him, he can see the gleam in her eyes. He could make her throw herself at his feet in a minute, it would be just too easy. Too bad he's not here for her, and Rhea would make it much harder for him. But this woman certainly knows some things about her boss that Rhea wouldn't tell him so easily, because the women in the anterooms of the Capitol got to see a lot more than you would think. Perhaps she is an opportunity to get more information, while he was busy gaining Rhea's trust.

While the receptionist is still visibly searching for words, her name tag catches Finnick's eye and he realizes that the woman in front of him had to be the same one who had been screamed at by Donna on the phone. So as he leans casually against the counter, he smiles at her and says, "Good afternoon my dear, it looks like I owe you an apology."

She wears the same expression of awe-inspiring admiration that he constantly sees on the faces of his fans. Her eyes widen and her mouth silently opens and closes a few times. All she can shoot out is a breathed, "Excuse me?"

He laughs softly as he replies, "You are Miss Foster correct? I'm afraid you had a rather unpleasant encounter with my manager on Monday. She tends to lose her temper quickly when things don't go her way. Unfortunately, she seems to have unjustifiably taken her anger out on you, for which I would like to apologize most sincerely. Tell me, how can I make it up to you?"