XIII

Tiarra has a fear of cops. We've established that.

Tiarra will push her fear to the side for Jade. Which we've also established.

"Mommy, he's just sleeping, right?" Jade's voice was so small when Tiarra finally reached the house, just staring at her puppy. No tears, no life. They'd taken it. "....right?"

"Jade, put him down."

"Troy gets scared if he wakes up alone." When she looked up, her mother's heart broke. Jade was fighting tears, holding her puppy close to her chest and rocking a little. "That's why I let him sleep on the bed with me."

Tiarra was seeing red. Not only did they break into her house, they gutted her grandpuppy and left him on the porch for her daughter to find.

She was going to kill them.

"I'm sorry!" Jade's wailing brought her back, Tiarra shakily pulling out her phone.

"911, what is your emergency?"

"A few crimes have been committed." Jade went from crying to screaming, repeatedly yelling 'my baby' as she hunched over Troy. Trying to protect him from the people coming outside to see the commotion.

"Jade!" A few of the neighborhood kids ran over, their parents following behind them as she continued to scream and cry. One stayed with Tiarra, knowing how she got when having to converse with officers while the others went to try and calm Jade down.

"Sick bastards." Tiarra spat, her eyes burning as it seemed that Jade's screams got louder. Seemed like her cries were being ripped from her, like she couldn't stop if she even tried.

"He's sleeping! Don't touch him!" She yelled, swatting hands away when they tried to take Troy from her. It brought some of the adults to tears, the girl they were used to seeing smiling and playing with the kids now sobbing from the death of her own.

It made them sick.

"Mama's sorry, baby. Okay? Mama's sorry." Jade felt like her world had crashed around her, finally quieting enough just as the cops pulled in.

"I have cameras. My daughter sleeps with her door locked when I'm gone and I have the key." Tiarra said when she finished explaining what happened, leading them over to Jade. "Sweetheart-"

"No!" Jade jerked back like she'd been slapped, shaking her head and holding Troy closer. "No! Please!"

"Baby, they need to see him."

"....my baby boy."

"I'm sorry." One of the officers said when a tear escaped, walking off to collect himself. Jade clung to her mother's leg when they finally got Troy from her, whole body shaking with sobs as they checked him over.

"Ma'am, is your daughter always that pale?" A female officer approached, looking wearily at Jade. "How long has she been out here?"

"Fifteen minutes." Tiarra took a good look at her, Jade's skin paler than normal.

Way paler than normal.

"Hey, sweetheart." The same officer approached again, sure he had a good hold on his emotions this time. "Do you mind if we take a look at you?"

"....my-my side hurts." Jade stuttered out after a moment, her face still in her mom's leg as she lifted the shirt. Revealing a bleeding wound that certainly wasn't there the night before.

"They stabbed my baby?" It was like something went wrong in Tiarra's mind, because she was too calm. "They stabbed my baby."

"Ma'am-"

"They stabbed my BABY!" Tiarra yelled, shoving hands off of her and moving through the crowd. She already knew who she was looking for, officers and neighbors pulling her back. "It wasn't enough for you to kill her son, you had to try and take her too?!"

"Fuck you! We told you that dog was no good!"

"Settle down!"

"He was a baby!"

"His kind-"

"His kind?!"

"Mommy!" Jade's call was louder than their yelling, Tiarra huffing and pointing at the people responsible.

"Karma is a real bitch."

That, was example A.

Example B is a lot tamer.

"Aunty Tina, don't you think someone else should drive?" Her mom had taken a nap and her aunt got the idea to take Rue, Jade, and Fez to the park. After she had a few drinks, of course. "You're swerving."

"Nonsense! Ice cream!" Rue screamed when the car suddenly jerked to the left, nearly slamming into the door if Jade didn't grab her.

"Yo, pull the car over!"

"You're fucking crazy! Stop!"

"I want Miss T!" Rue started crying, hugging Jade tight as she and Fez yelled at Tina to stop the car.

Sirens blared behind them, Tina slamming on the brakes. Fez hit the seats, cushioning Jade and Rue as Tina swore.

(I should also mention that Tiarra is a legal guardian of Fez and Rue....)

"Watch out." Jade was fed up, rolling down the back window. "Officer Suarez!"

"Jade! What's up?" Suarez cut his talk with Tina short, despite the woman trying to talk over Jade.

"This crazy bitch is wasted. She damn near flung Rue out of the car, gave me whiplash, and O'Neil a concussion." She said, Fez nodding when Suarez peered at him. He was shielding Rue, who was still crying and asking him to call Tiarra.

"Ma'am, step out of the car." Suarez didn't like drunk drivers. Especially ones with kids in the car.

"Officer-"

"My mom's calling." Jade said, Suarez nodding as his partner had Tina do some tests after getting her out of the car. "Your drunk sister took us quote unquote to the park.....yes.... No ma'am.......yes ma'am. Suarez, my mama wants to talk to you."

"We're arresting her now."

"Good. I wanna press charges."

Example C....well, no one but Jade and Fez knows what happened that day.

I heard Jade's father came back and tried to take her, and Tiarra wasn't having it.

I heard she went batshit.

I heard that whatever she did to him, Jade and Fez lied for her.

And I heard that she wasn't even arrested.