Heir of the Dragons

Bold=Valyrian
Page divider by @Straywords on tumblr

Season 1 episode 1:

Maenya POV

Waiting for Rhaenyra at the dragonpit was the most boring thing I could've done.

Truth be told I only came to look at the dragons, every time Rhaenyra went up into the sky on Syrax, I made her promise she wouldn't loose track of time so that we wouldn't be late for the small council meeting, every time she broke that promise.

The only thing I had to entertain me, was my sworn shield, Carth Dondarrion, a younger knight, with chestnut hair and green-brown eyes, and Alicent Hightower, Rhaenyra's friend.
She was a polite girl, the same age as Rhaenyra, hence why she was closer with her, besides, that the two girls seem to even each other out, whereas my sister was much more reckless, Alicent was more sensible.

Rhaenyra had just started to land and we were already late for the small council.

I turned to Alicent
"You know, I don't know why I always make a promise not to lose track of time, she still does" I joke

Alicent laughs as Rhaenyra hops down from Syrax and walks towards us
"Try to not look too relieved, sir" she said to sir Harold

"I am relieved every time that golden beast brings you back and unspoiled. It saves my head from a spike." He laughs

"I must say, I am glad I don't have that to worry about" Carth jokes

"Syrax is growing quickly, she'll soon be as large as Caraxes" Alicent comments

"That's almost large enough to saddle two" Rhaenyra hints

"I believe I am quite content as a spectator, thank you" Alicent says as we all get back into the carriage

I small bitter taste grew in my mouth, if anyone was to ride on Syrax with Rhaenyra it should be me? Should it not?

The targaryen without a dragon, my egg never hatching.

My father used to try make me feel better by telling me how he doesn't have a dragon but never worked. He only doesn't have a dragon now because Balerion died. Before that, he wrote the biggest dragon as Targaryen ever had.

My mother says I will claim a dragon one day, though, I can't say that I believe her every time I tried taming one of the dragons they almost turned into their next me.

What kind of first born doesn't have a dragon?

Rhaenyra, Alicent and I linked arms as we walked throughout the castle. people stopped what they were doing to lower their heads to my sister, and I as we walked past them.
I soon realised that we were not going in the direction of the small council chamber, but to our mothers chamber. not that I was complaining but I did worry about the scolding we would surely get from our father.