die for you

It was a year ago that she died.

Ahn Seo-Yun was nothing if not kind.

She worked as a teacher and spent her weekends working at a local animal shelter.

Her childhood was one of immense pain. Her mother had died in childbirth. Her father would abuse her. She didn't escape until she met her boyfriend at the time and moved in with him.

To make matters worse, her boyfriend started to emotionally manipulate her and treated her horribly.

But she decided to live a pure life. She left her boyfriend and her father behind and moved to the city of Jungjin.

What she didn't know was that Jungjin was dangerous.

She eventually met Park Myung-Dae at a local café before she headed to her classroom.

It was from that moment that they immediately clicked.

Myung-Dae had been working as a secretary to a local company, but he always made time in the morning to meet with Seo-Yun at the café.

Not long after, Myung-Dae finally plucked up the courage to ask Seo-Yun on a date. A request that she immediately said yes to.

Seo-Yun had lived a hard life, so she was cautious of letting Myung-Dae too close to her heart before she was sure he was a good person.

Myung-Dae did his best to prove to her that he deserved her.

And he eventually did.

It was one sunny day at a park when Myung-Dae and Seo-Yun were sitting on a bench.

Seo-Yun kept smiling at the birds chirping around her as she basked in the sunlight.

Myung-Dae could only smile at her before dropping to one knee and proposing.

Seo-Yun's smile never lifted as she started crying happy tears.

The ring he had chosen was beautiful, a symbol of their love.

It all came crashing down one day.

Myung-Dae and Seo-Yun were walking in the park at night when a shadow followed them.

Myung-Dae tried to tell Seo-Yun that it was late, and they should head home, but she was adamant about taking in the cool night air.

In a flash, he felt a cloth covering his mouth and a bag covering his head.

He passed out before he could call out to Seo-Yun to run.

He doesn't remember what happened after that.

All he remembers was seeing the kidnapper laid out on the floor and his soon-to-be wife, dead on the ground.

He had been kicking himself ever since.

How could he let her die? Why wasn't he the one dead? Why doesn't he remember?

He stood up from her grave as he remembered everything that had happened.

It was the first anniversary of her passing, and he still couldn't get over it.

As he walked in the dark, he traveled to that same park that once brought him so much light.

That's where he found himself face to face with a woman who couldn't have been more than 2 years older than him.