F I V E .

It was later that day, it had already turned dark and Ana sat by the pool. They all decided to stay at the house because they were all so exhausted from traveling.

She heard someone clear their throat behind her, she turned to look at who it was and of course.. it was Conrad.

"I was just wondering... where are you sleeping tonight?" He asked awkwardly.

"Since Steven isn't here, I'm taking his room for the night." She responded blankly.

He nodded his head and watched as the young girl just stared at the pool.

"Listen-"

"No." Ana said, not even sparing him a glance.

"Ana, please-"

"Conrad, please." She started, standing up and looking at him, "I don't want to talk to you. You don't need to talk to me. Cant we just... coexist?"

She didnt even let him get a word in. As soon as she saw him open his mouth to start saying something she walked right past him and into the house.

Conrad stood there for a moment longer. Staring at where she just stood. He was upset at how things had gone down between them... how he had let things end last summer.

Not even telling her bye, not even telling her why. He was so ashamed of himself.

~

Jere and Belly had left early in the morning to see Julia. Ana was going to go, but decided not to when she found out Belly was going. She didnt want to be trapped in the car with her for the third time in the span of two days.

Instead she threw on a bathing suit and made her way to the beach. It was a cute bikini that showed just enough but not too much. And of course... it was sage green.

She smiled before putting on a giant T-shirt and making her way to the beach.

But she was surely disappointed when she saw Conrad there already. In his bathing suit and with his surf board, he didnt see her. Not at first.

But his eyes caught her quickly when she sat her stuff down, and pulled of the shirt about ten feet from him. Completely ignoring his existence.

He watched as she walked to the water, the girl had definitely filled out more. Her body was more of an hour glass shape, her butt grew.. that was obvious. And then he saw it..

She had a small tattoo of a star, in reference to her sister who had passed away. But she only had one, he knew that because he was there when she got it done.

But now she had two stars. And he knew that it was for his mother.

"Ana!" He shouted, running up to her.

She ignored him, sitting down ankles deep into the water.

"Ana..." he said softly, finally making it to her side.

"Hm?" She hummed.

"You have a second star..."

"I know. I'm the one who has it."

"... is it for-"

"Yes." Ana sniffled, remembering the boys mother.

Ana loved Susannah. Ana grieved Susannah. She hated herself for being so distant with the woman after the summer had ended.

But even with being so distant the woman was still there for her. Constant calls, texts. Even helped her with homework when she could. Susannah, with the help of laurel, even visited Ana. Multiple times.

But still.. nothing was the same.

"Your mother... she was an amazing, kind hearted, free spirit. I don't know if you knew this, but she came to see me. We talked almost everyday... before she got bad." Ana whispered.

Conrad's eyes filled with tears, they stung... how did he not know? Had he really been that distant with his own mom?

"I- I didnt know." Conrad said.

"Yeah... I didnt think so."

"Ana-"

"Please just... just let me enjoy a moment with her. On my own." She piped up, straightening her back, before watching the waves crash.

Conrad hesitantly nodded his head, but he didnt leave her side. He simple sat down next to her. Letting silence drown them.

They sat there for over an hour. Both of them just enjoying the time that they were spending. To just sit there and feel peace was more than they could both ever ask for.

Without saying anything Ana looked at the boy, and started to stand up, helping him up along with her.

And still, in silence. They both started walking back to the house.

~

"Hey, guys." Ana spoke, walking to Jere and Belly who had just gotten back as well.

"You guys went to the store?" Conrad asked.

"Uh.. we actually thought about picking Ana up and leaving. But then we decided not to listen to you." Belly said, referring to Conrad telling them both to leave that morning.

"We didnt just get groceries. We actually went to see aunt Julia." Jere said.

"How did it go?" Ana and Conrad asked at the same time.

"Not great... what were you guys doing?" He responded, looking at both of them in bathing suits still dripping.

"We were at the beach. Just sat there watching the waves." Ana spoke up, "have either of you talked to your dad yet?"

"No." They responded.

"I-I'm going to take these inside..." belly said, grabbing the bag of food before walking into the house.

"I'm.. going to follow her."