15: chauffeur

The late Black wolf king Bastian, died about eleven years ago survived by his wife, Lisa and his daughter Azure. All the searches I made on every possible website I could find would tell me anything else. Not about the wolf queen who is supposedly my mother, or this, Azure who should be me if my name was Azure.

The revelation the previous day had kept me up all night. Why was there so much limited information about this and why did my mother have to keep all this from me? If he died eleven years ago then I should be able to at least remember something about him. I would have been about seven. Mom always said he was caring and kind and possibly the best husband anyone could ask for but what about as a father? As my father?

I groaned.

My mother was right. I had to have waited to hear all this in person. Now I had a headache trying to figure all this out. How did he die? Who murdered him? And again, why so little information?

Times like this, I would have Alphie  to cuddle with. He always made me feel better when I was nervous or anxious. That was of course until my mom took him away a year before I arrived here. And now I was all alone, left to figure this mess out myself.

At the moment, I didn't know how to feel. A mix of realisations overwhelming me at once. Noa's rejection had taken enough out of me and now I realized he was engaged to my cousin. My cousin! As if figuring out how much darkness I'd been confined in for all these years wasn't enough and now this... How much of my life would I have been able to navigate had she just told me all this from the the get go? Why didn't she just tell me?!

My head hurt. I had school to go to but I was seriously reconsidering... Noa was going to be there... In the same class... I'd have to face him and I really didn't want to. I wasn't sure I would be able to think straight if I did.

I was way, way past my bedtime when exhaustion finally took over. It was the sound of my doorbell that woke me. I cursed deeply as I'd only been asleep for a second. The rays of sunlight beaming through the gaps between my curtains said otherwise. I took a panicked glance at my clock. I had only thirty minutes left to get ready.

Blessings on the soul that had been sent to wake me up this morning. I never needed an alarm so this would have ended up a tragedy.

I threw on something reasonable and decent and made my way, half alert, to stop the persistent ringing of the doorbell. What kind of person rings so early in the morning?

I opened the door to a face I had never seen but sure as hell recognized. A black wolf, with the exception of the brown eyes... You could easily tell a low born from a high born from the colour of their eyes. It had become a sort of trend at one point to have the blue eyes of Viastra, the goddess's avatar and as it was such a potent dominant trait, one couldn't fake being her descendant.

My mom definitely sent him. His face bore the expression of one who had seen a ghost for a split second before it was replaced with a charming smile.

"Good morning, princess." He greeted.

I could tell that my expression was unpleasant, perhaps with the bags under my eyes I might've looked like a witch who did not trust that smile one bit.

"Good morning. How may I help you?" Was he a spy perhaps? I was back to being mad at my mom and I wasn't taking any chances.

"I'm your new neighbor and I'm here to say hello. I'd also..."

I didn't have time for this. I might have even gotten in a few more minutes of sleep because I now realized that not even school was worth my sanity yet this person woke me up this early?!

"Hello, happy to hear that. "

Next I knew I'd slammed the door in his face.

I was surprised at my own actions as I'd prided myself in being polite as much as I needed. But now I was just too pissed to care.