10: Pancakes

The weekend had finally arrived. There were a lot of things I had planned for the day, one of which included face timing a friend. I sat in my living room, phone at arm's length away from my face. As soon as a connection had been made, I couldn't help but let out a squeal as my Nanny, Becky's face came on.

I must have been very loud seeing as the middle aged lady winced from the sound.

"goodness! "she exclaimed, "I was wondering who would be calling this time of day. "

"I'm sorry. I missed you guys a lot. It's also not that early. You were up an hour ago. " it was indeed quite early. I hadn't even had breakfast yet.

"cheeky. " she teased. "at least wherever you are hasn't taken that away. You're starting to look thinner and I'm hoping it's the screen. Don't let me find out you haven't been eating well. "

"I have. You haven't changed a bit since the last time I saw you. "

"is that a good thing? "

I laughed. I could hear another voice in the background grumbling about the noise and accusing her of finally running mad. I instantly recognized the voice. Our butler.

"don't be silly, Harold," she scolded. "it's the princess. "

One of the things that would never change was them insisting not to call me by my name. I had been princess ever since I could remember.

I laughed as Harold aggressively pulled the screen in his direction, his face a little too close for comfort.

"my, princess! It's been a while. You never said you would call. "

"I didn't know I would. " i replied.

"Stop hogging the device Harold " nagged Becky as she pulled it from his grasp and placed it at a distance where both their faces fit the screen. The two were always at each others throats day and night. They always made my day better.

"I do hope your business there is over soon so you can come back home to us. Your mother isn't taking your absence well. "

"if that were the case she sure isn't showing it. " I said.

"oh dear. " Becky's tone was filled with worry. "you haven't spoken to your mum since you left? "

"I don't feel like talking to her. " I still felt sour about the last few moments I spent with her.

"Princess, Miss Lisa misses you dearly. She'd certainly want to hear from you. " said Harold.

"if she doesn't call me, I won't call her. "

"my... " Becky sighed.

"well it's surely not the first time you two have had a disagreement. It won't be long I'm sure. However you both can be quite stubborn. " said Harold.

"I know where I get it from. how's home by the way? Good as ever? "

"of course. Everything is running smoothly. Miss Lisa treats us very well. "

They were both Human, in on the family secret from day one. How they'd been able to put up however, still surprised me. They had to deal with a lot more than just my mum and I.

"princess, do you live with a man at your house? " asked Becky.

I paled. Man? What man? I thought of a reason why she would say that.

"a redhead just walked past in the background a while ago. "

At the sound of that, I remembered. Noa was staying the weekend again. Though this time he hadn't been locked out of his home. He was here because now for some reason, he wanted to learn to make pancakes.