4: A devious smile

Two weeks later, mei and I, alongside Del, a vampire draped with blonde hair and an unhealthy addiction to sugary sweets sat at the cafeteria for lunch.

Today, on her menu was a watermelon flavored drink that she'd gone out of her way to get us despite our protests. We didn't hate it to be honest. It was in fact a delicious addition to the meals I've had these past weeks.

I watched her bat her golden lashes as she put down the drink and wiped her lips gently with a napkin. There was this shine to her eyes that made my heart race each time she made even the slightest eye movement in my direction. She sighed.

"so. Since you arrived here, what movies have you seen? I've mentioned a huge number of them and you haven't even seen one."

I almost laughed as she huffed in frustration.

"I've seen Blood Rose. "

"it doesn't count. It's an old movie. "

"it's pretty good regardless. "

"and you've probably only seen It because it's a popular old timer. Goodness! Mei, you could've given her an education this whole time"

"isn't two weeks a bit fast? " asked Mei.

Del flipped her hair. " you two need fixing. I hope neither of you have plans for the weekend because I just so happen to have three tickets to that new fox movie coming up. what was it called?"

"unbound? " said Mei. Del gave a short nod.

"yeah that. Are you guys going? "

I had the slight urge to refuse but stopped myself hoping it would be a life changing experience. I nodded as I brought my spoon to my mouth.

"yes. "

"great!"

The corner of my eye caught sight of the golden haired demon I was never too pleased to meet. Val. Since our last encounter, I'd only spotted him at least once or twice, never really knowing whether to feel anger or relief. Now, all I could think was, what did he want?

He took a seat next to Del and I saw her scratch her hair in discomfort while looking away and grunting slightly.

"good day ladies." he flashed a grin that all but hid his gleaming white teeth beaming through his glossy lips. I hated that he looked good while he stared at us.

"hi. " said Mei with a small wave. A small nod was the only acknowledgement I was willing to give.

He leaned a head over his palm balanced over an elbow and turned to Del with what I knew by now as a devious smile. "so... "

She turned to him with an annoyed glare and asked in a rather contradictory tone to his. "what do you want? "

"my... Why are you so pissed? I could be asking you the same thing. It's not like I'm doing anything wrong by saying hi to my own sister. "

I could feel my face twitch as I heard him say that.

Sister?

Realisation dawned on me as I began to piece together their facial features like a puzzle. Bright, shiny blond hair and those golden eyes... They could be passed as twins if they weren't. I looked to Del with disbelief, searching for an explanation. What was going on? It almost felt as if she had another motive for sitting with us everyday. Of course, even if I had noticed before, I wouldn't have asked which was a bad habit of mine.

Val raised a brow as if he was genuinely surprised, "well, this is interesting, almost makes you wonder... " he trailed off.

"cut the crap Val. What do you want? " Del sounded very pissed.