3: a mall

My thoughts had a tendency for traveling miles away from reality when anxious.

I tried to look like I was paying attention for the bigger part so at least I'd feel the teacher's words wouldn't fly over my head and go to waste... But knowing I'd been over this topic thoroughly at least once or twice in my lifetime didn't help. I was homeschooled for about more than half of it.

I rubbed my eyes in frustration. Val that idiot... My neck that barely wore ornaments for the past 17 years still felt bare from the loss of my new necklace. I wanted to kill the demon and stake him at the heart. The stereotypical way lore had taught us demons would die.

No matter how many times I replayed the incident in my mind, I couldn't figure out how he'd slipped the necklace from my neck so fast. Afterwards he'd told me I owed him for saving me from hitting my cranium on cold tiles... That I wouldn't get back my necklace till I earned it.

Replaying the memory from two periods ago made me believe less and less that my bumping into him was a coincidence. It didn't help how horrible I felt at the moment.

By the end of the day, I already felt exhausted. I'd felt Mei had been as anxious as I was too... I wasn't exactly sure why. However she completely caught me off guard when her first words after class were, " I'm sorry about your necklace. "

"Thanks but it isn't exactly your fault."

"I know that... But maybe I could've done something."

"Actually, if you could've had him beat up I would be extremely happy. But nothing is good too."

At the moment, I was happy to play along with Val's game. I knew that reacting brashly would have dire consequences regardless of what it was. I already had lessons on self control, courtesy of my mother. I just wanted to see how far this would go. Though I was sure this wouldn't be too nice either.

While Mei and I sat discussing my little incident, Noa walked up to us making my heart race. I was told beasts had impeccable hearing and I wondered if it applied to the sound of my heartbeat as well.

"Pardon me, Mei. I would like to borrow your friend for the rest of the day." He stated leaning over the desk slightly as if imposing a presence of authority.

"Nuh uh." She pouted. He remained just as impassive and said, "I wasn't asking."

His voice was firm as he seemed to have made the decision for us both. Mei sunk back in her seat a little and I felt myself swallow. My insides churned with anticipation. I wanted to go with him. I was curious to know if my dream wolf was anything like I'd imagined.

"Its been nice being with you today Mei. I'll see you tomorrow."

I'd gotten up and strapped my bag around my shoulder almost immediately. Mei seemed to have wanted to offer a few words of protest but stopped herself at the very first word. I'd almost felt regret and hoped she would forgive me by tomorrow for this treachery.

"Please." Noa offered for me to walk before him. Mei nodded at me in silence and smiled as I walked myself out the exit.

My new found companion wasn't as much of a talker as I'd hoped. Not that there was anything he'd say that I would expect.

"So... You're not gonna kidnap me are you?"

He smiled a little. "Quite the joker aren't you?"

I wondered if that was rhetorical. As we walked out of the school's building, I found it was a bit of a struggle keeping up with this long legged fellow. I knew however, that he was slowing his pace so I could catch up.