8: Booze

I developed my love for wolves at an early age... Or perhaps my love for anything slightly similar. This love was probably fed by my mum because that was one indulgence she could not control.

When I got into that phase where I craved a pet she got me Alpheus, a black wolf. He was little at first and got bigger with time and as I grew up, he grew up with me. We ended up becoming family.

I remember something I did one time, Alphie was being picked on by some boys at a park and I retaliated by sending a baseball straight into one of their faces. I broke his nose and till now I do not regret it. It gave me one of the most accomplished feelings of my life and I sure as hell would do it again and maybe even harder.

There was a party going on tonight. I'd been invited but then straight up declined. The only party I'd ever attended was my birthday party so I knew I'd fall very much out of place there.

As I lay in my bed that night, thoughts floating in my head as I looked through all the drawings of Alphie I'd made in my little sketch book. I couldn't bring myself to sleep. It wasn't that late, heck! It wasn't even near my bedtime. But living alone there was so little I could do to pass the time.

I picked up my phone and stared at the screen at a movie that I had promised myself I'd complete. I was trying to move fast through that list Chis had presented to me and most of them were indeed to my liking... Most of them.

Regardless, I pulled through to the very end of the very hilarious romcom and like that my phone dropped to my chest as I breathed a sigh of relief.

What to do now?

I opened up my messaging app. There was in fact, not much activity. I wasn't surprised. There was a party I wasn't at. The next one, I told myself, would be it.

Noa was online. It was quite rare or maybe I had caught him at the right time. I decided the chat with him and sent him a "hi" text. I regretted it right after for some reason or I felt no sane person would be chatting at this hour. I felt my anxiety spike as I watched his reply pop up about five seconds later.

"hello. How are you doing? "

I felt blood rush to my face and used a hand to wipe it down because he only just asked how I was.

"I'm fine. You? "

"same. "

Obviously.

Another text popped up. "are you home? "

Why did he ask that?

"yes."

"can I came over? "

I froze. Did I want him to come over? I couldn't outright turn him down because yes I did in fact want him to come over.

"it's late though. Why? "

"I can't go home. "

I took a moment to try and understand what he was saying. why couldn't he go home? Why wasn't he home. Could it be...?

"where are you? Wait... Are you at the party? "

"yes, it's a long story , so can I come over?"

"of course. "

"I'm on my way. "

He went offline almost immediately.

I sat in bed thinking about what I'd just agreed to. What just happened? Noa was going to be here any minute. I half prayed he would change his mind along the way. This was both scary and exciting. Was he going to spend the night? Nervousness hit the pit of my guts like a heavy blow. What if he was?

About fourty minutes later, I'd managed to gather myself, patiently waiting in my living room. I finally heard the long awaited knock and sprang up from my seat.

"hello? Erica, it's me Noa. "

I felt my heart pounding in my chest.

"coming! " I replied like I wasn't already at the door.

I released my lower lip from my bite as soon as I opened the door and there he was, dressed the most casual since we'd met.

"um... Hi. "

"hi... "

It took me a while to realize I had to ask him to come in.

"come, in. "

I was practically counting my words at this point. As he stepped into my house, I smelt a slight smell of booze from him and the was all the confirmation I needed of where he'd been.

"make yourself comfortable. "

He landed on one of the couches and looked up at me. "your home feels... Cozy. " I was sure he meant small because I could only imagine where he lived.

"thanks. " there was a bit of silence. "can I get you anything to drink? Water, coffee? " I'd never done this before.

He looked at me thoughtfully before replying. " a warm glass of milk would be nice. "

"o... OK. "

I made my way to the kitchen and slapped my hands on the sink. Breathing out huge sigh of relief from finally being away from his presence. Noa brought himself to my house and yes, granted I did allow him to come over yet I was the one being so on edge, while he sat so carefree in my living room. Dammit!

I got him his glass of milk and watched as he downed it all in one go. I sat there watching his Adam's apple bob while the warm liquid poured down his throat.

I hadn't realized my mouth hung open until he spoke. "is there something you wish to say? "

"oh... Um, I didn't realize you were a party person. "

He set down his glass.

"I'm not. Latto forced me to go with him. Had to leave before I made a fool of myself. "

"I doubt that could ever happen. " I murmured.

"pardon? "

"nothing. It's just... Latto and you are really close. "

"in a way. He's been my friend for quite a while. Although, from the onset, our relationship was never debatable. Not that you would understand. "

"I really don't. I also don't see how that stops you from going home. "

"bored of me so soon I see...he took the house keys. I can't go home. Not yet at least. "

"oh. " after a moment of thinking on that comment my eyes grew wide with realization of what he meant. I had hoped he didn't plan to stay over for the night which was one thing I had been wrong about.

Behind me .