Death Is Only The Start...

White light invaded my vision as I blinked against the sudden unwelcome light. “Rose?” I squinted through the light to see a dark silhouette amidst the light.

“James?” The hope in my voice was obvious as the male figure winced but it was only a second later I noticed a more feminine figure walking up beside him and my vision began to clear enough to see Alexander stood next to an exact replica of me. No- it was me from a past life.

“Jezzebella I presume?” The girl inclined her head in acknowledgement and that mere action drew my attention to the little bundle of joy she held in her arms. A baby boy. “I guess it was a boy after all.” My smile was wry and Alex offered me a hand up which I gratefully accepted.

He looked sheepish as he looked at the true love of his life and rubbed the back of neck in guilt. “Yeah, turns out she was right when she thought she was having a boy.” I didn’t question how if she was granted a life in the afterlife did she only just have the baby because God worked in mysterious ways and probably knew she would have wanted to wait for Alex to eventually join her here. My heart gave a pang at the sight of effectively me looking happy with her baby and the love of her life, knowing that I would never have mine.

Alex must have noticed something was wrong when a frown appeared on his face. “I can read your expression as if it was Jezzebella’s.” I winced at his crass comment and even Jezzebella seemed a bit taken aback at his unintentional thoughtless comment. She was me after all at the end of the day. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it that way. I just meant what’s wrong?”

He surely couldn’t be that stupid? “Have a nice life with your family Alexander and I might see you again some day. Preferably not soon.” I smiled and decided it was my turn to take my leave from the happy couple even though I had no idea where I was going, where I was, where I could go or even if I could go anywhere. All I knew for certain was that I couldn’t be around the constant reminder of what I couldn’t have anymore because of the happy couple.

“I really am sorry for what I did Rose and I meant it when I said that I truly loved you, not just for love of Jezzebella. It’s just you can’t imagine what it was like having the love of my life taken away from me, never to see her or my child again-”

“No I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to lose my soulmate, never to see him or my child again unless they die and then feel awful to wish for them to be with me because I would ultimately be wishing for their death.” I took a breath to calm myself. “I’ve said I forgive you Alexander and I meant it. We are at peace with each other and will be from now on, but it doesn’t mean, pardon my rudeness, that I want what I can’t have rubbed in my face whenever I see the three of you happy together. I really would rather be alone and wish you all of the best for the amazing future you’ve both been gifted with.”

I turned around to leave when I heard my voice echoed back to me only I wasn’t speaking the words, Jezzebella was. “Rose? I want to thank you for being good to Alexander and leading him back to good.” I turned my head and nodded at the gratitude but before I could carry on walking, she carried on talking. “I also wanted to thank you for loving James how he should be loved, the way I could never love him.” She meant well. She meant well. She meant well. She meant-

The mantra wasn’t working and I turned on her. “We are not friends, so you do not talk of my husband like you give a damn. You cheated on him when he was there for you, in the next room even and knowing how much he loved you. You cheated on him with his best friend. So screw the speech about you not being able to love him enough because that is how I felt with Alexander. I understand that you didn’t feel the love you felt for Alexander towards him and that I will not hold against you. I will however hold the fact that you broke his heart against you for all of my life and if he is ever to come here then you are to stay well away from him, else risk bodily harm. I may be dead but I’ll still kick your ass if you hurt my husband again.”
“Then we are in agreement and you shall understand that the feeling is mutual about you and Alexander?”