Turning To The Unexpected...

I sputtered for a moment with Alex outright admitting what he had done. “But why?!” I cried out not being able to contain my emotion any longer. I tried to walk around James but he put his arm out to stop me so I stopped, trusting him completely for the first time since he left me.

“I wanted you. I wanted -no, needed- you to love me as much as I loved you and I knew that you would never give us a chance, whether I was your soulmate or not, if he was still in the picture. I knew what I could give you and what he couldn’t. You already love our baby with all your heart and even a blind man couldn’t miss that. Could you live without the joy of carrying your own child? Our child? I certainly couldn’t and I never wanted to so I lied to you about the reason why James had to leave. I knew he wouldn’t be able to tell you or face the consequences from our master. He clearly chose to fight for you this time which I didn’t expect.”

“So let me get this straight. You hurt me by telling me the guy I loved didn’t love me and had used and bailed on me because you believe that it is you who has fathered this child? All this and because you thought he didn’t truly love me enough to fight for me? That’s funny you see because I actually remember it was you who wasn’t going to fight for me when James took me. I also remember it being you who only loved me because I looked like the love of your life, so how do you figure that this is your child if you’ve already impregnated your soulmate?” I was that annoyed now that I could imagine steam coming out of my ears.

“Because I got her pregnant and you ARE her Rose whether you like to admit it or not.” Alex shouted and the impact of what he said hit me like a ton of bricks. He still believed that I was her.

“I am not her Alex and I never will be so if that is the only reason that YOU are sticking around then don’t bother because I HATED her and everything she stood for.” His eyes turned red at that. “So you still don’t like people talking about her even though you think I am her? She cheated on James when he had been nothing but nice to her with the first pretty face that rode into town, James’s best friend no less. Everyone will just see you as the bad guy but it took two to tango and in my eyes she was worse because she was never going to tell him. She was going to marry him with the knowledge that she didn’t truly love him and had slept with someone else!” 

“Isn’t that what you did?” He snarled back at me and I took a step away from both of them, but Alex didn’t back down. “James hadn’t been gone that long before you slept with the first pretty face that was around even though you claimed to love him, except you were worse. YOU were MARRIED to him when you married me and slept with me MANY times. You claim that you hate her and are nothing like her when you ARE her and are just repeating everything she did. Including all of the mistakes you say she made. No wonder I fell for you.” He laughed without humour and it felt like he had slapped me.

Was he right? Was I just like her? 

I shook my head to clear those thoughts and try and process everything else that is going on with me. “James I need your phone please.” My voice sounded hollow even to me but I ignored the worried expression on James’s face as he passed me his phone. I scrolled through the numbers until I found the number I was looking for and quickly programmed it into my own phone. “Thanks.” I muttered and handed it back to him without another word.

I walked to the door only to have James grab my arm and pull me back to him. “Where are you going?” He whispered and I couldn’t look him in the eyes anymore for fear of him seeing Jezzebella stood there instead of ME.