𝑨𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒈𝒍𝒐𝒘

True to Finnick's word, Dahlia was only wearing her wedding ring when she woke up the next morning

True to Finnick's word, Dahlia was only wearing her wedding ring when she woke up the next morning. This was an opportunity that her husband took full advantage of, wrapping his arms around her bare midriff and pulling her back close to his chest in order to plant loving kisses all over her skin. It was just as well that Coin gave them a few days off from any duties, because Dahlia didn't think Finnick would be letting her leave their bed anytime soon (though she wasn't complaining one bit).

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting to do that." Finnick whispered lowly into her ear, gently nipping at her pulse point as his lips trailed their way down her shoulder. "The restraint I've had to have when you look so good all the time. It's been torture to be limited only to my imagination."

Dahlia quirked a brow at those words, glancing up at Finnick with a questioning glance as she playfully remarked, "Oh, you've imagined this? And tell me, did it live up to your expectations?"

Finnick stifled any further teasing comments she was cooking up in that sharp mind of hers by placing numerous kisses on her already swollen lips. Once he had finished proving his adoration for her, he pulled back and assured her, "It was better than anything I could have ever imagined. You were worth the years of waiting."

Grinning serenely at the sincerity in his words, Dahlia intertwined her left hand with Finnick's until the gold bands on their ring fingers clinked together melodically. It was a physical representation of their love for each other, a reminder of their official union. Funny how such a small circle of metal could make a relationship feel so much stronger and everlasting. A minuscule difference, but one that meant the world to Finnick and Dahlia.

"I wish we could stay here like this forever." Finnick sighed peacefully, fully able to relax in the comfort of his own space with his wife nestled safely in his arms. An eternity with her where they were unbothered by the horrors of the world and could just live their lives in peace sounded like the future they deserved together. A future he longed for more than anything.

"Me too." Dahlia murmured wistfully, snuggling deeper into Finnick's warm and soothing hold. That dream for their future was a fantasy that they both happily would've taken as reality. But Dahlia knew better than to get their hopes up. "But we can't... Not yet." Finnick propped his body up on his elbow in interest as Dahlia turned to face him with a sympathetic expression. "War's not over, Finn. And neither is our mission."

"What mission?" Finnick asked in confusion, softly brushing a strand of hair from Dahlia's face as he gazed down at her lovingly.

A tight-lipped smile spread on Dahlia's lips as she answered, "Protecting the Mockingjay." Realisation dawned on Finnick's face, now fully understanding what his wife was talking about. "We can't hide out in here forever and Katniss needs our help."

"I understand that, but..." Finnick shook his head as he cut off his own sentence, almost struggling to find the words he wanted to say. Finally, he shifted his eyes to meet hers, allowing Dahlia to see the sorrowful demeanour that had overpowered his mind. Voice heavy with melancholy, he muttered, "I just got you back, Lia. I don't want to lose you again."