𝑳𝒊𝒆𝒔, 𝑳𝒐𝒚𝒂𝒍𝒕𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑳𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑪𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒍

Finnick was the first to react, instinctively prioritising Dahlia's safety over his own as he placed his hand on her back and nudged her forward

Finnick was the first to react, instinctively prioritising Dahlia's safety over his own as he placed his hand on her back and nudged her forward. Once he had prompted her into a run, he patted Peeta on the shoulder too before sprinting off himself. The trio were the closest ones to the sudden downpour, meaning they had to scurry as fast as they could away from that courtyard to avoid the danger. They trailed behind the film crew and their fellow squad members but followed Katniss' lead even through the frenzied chaos.

Jackson barked out orders, encouraging the soldiers to move quickly while Homes yelled out for them to get to higher ground. As the black ooze flooded the courtyard where they had previously stood, Dahlia scrambled up the wide grassy steps with brief glances behind her. The mysterious goo seemed to be surging in from all sides, forcing the squad in a specific direction and leaving them little room to escape. They were being cornered. If they survived this, the Capitol would know exactly where to find them.

Just as Dahlia was checking over her shoulder to ensure Finnick was still behind her, Peeta darted past her and reached out for Katniss. His hand latched onto the strap of her quiver and harshly yanked backwards until she was slammed into the ground. With a scream of rage, Peeta attempted to ram his gun into Katniss' head. Fortunately, Dahlia was by the Mockingjay's side in an instant and kicked her foot into Peeta's chest just as Katniss curled into herself. She successfully knocked the boy off his aim, meaning the gun never reached its target. Instead, it crashed into the ground as Dahlia tugged Katniss to her feet.

"Peeta, stop! It's alright." Dahlia attempted to calm the boy, planting herself between him and Katniss with her hand outstretched to ease him. But as Peeta's head snapped to the girl with fear and anger blazing in his eyes, Dahlia realised they were way past being able to talk him down. All the commotion of the last few moments had been too much for his fractured mind to handle, making him revert back to his Capitol programming. He was a mutt now. There was nothing she could do but protect the Mockingjay.

As Peeta went to launch himself at Dahlia to get to Katniss, Mitchell tackled Peeta away before he could reach them. "No, stop! You'll just make him worse!" Dahlia cried out, knowing Peeta would see the need to defend himself from this attack. She knew, because the Black Dahlia would've done the same thing. If the enemy attacked, you had to fight back and you had to win. And right now, Peeta saw them as the enemy.

Mitchell may have been trying to protect Katniss, but he didn't realise that he was only antagonising Peeta further. As the two men tumbled messily across the ground, Jackson frantically called out for Finnick or Dahlia to restrain him. But the damage was done. Peeta sank his fist backwards into Mitchell's face before whipping round and shoving him into the oncoming flood. Finnick reached the boy just as Mitchell landed on another pod, activating a barbed wire next which caught and speared him brutally.

"Settle! Calm down!" Finnick chanted into Peeta's ears as he hooked his arm round the boy's neck and held him back. Mitchell's anguished screams pierced the air as he was suspended above the members of the squad. They had little time to mourn the loss as the black gunge rushed forward and crashed into the steps like dangerous ocean waves.