𝑳𝒆𝒕 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑮𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝑩𝒆𝒈𝒊𝒏

Darkness was all she could see as the platform raised

Darkness was all she could see as the platform raised. She expected sunlight to greet her once she reached the top, but it never came. The Cornucopia sat in the middle of a large cavern lit up from above by bioluminescence. Various tunnel and cave openings were situated around the cavern but all of them seemed to lead into darkness. Stalagmites protrude menacingly from the ground and stalactites have formed on the roof, their tips sharper than a dagger. There was an unusually short distance between the podiums and the Cornucopia. The gamemakers had crafted a beautifully dangerous arena for the tributes this year. Dahlia was glad she had spent so long working on rock climbing. It seemed like that skill would come in handy.

The countdown begins.

60...

Dahlia spots black twin blades in their matching sheaths propped up on the edge of the Cornucopia. They are the only ones of their kind in the arena. They were placed there for her.

50...

Dahlia spots Cove on the opposite side of the Cornucopia, right next to the boy from District One.

40...

Dahlia notices the boy from Twelve on her left and the girl from Six on her right. Neither are huge threats, but both seem to be terrified of her.

30...

Dahlia and Cove lock eyes. Cove subtly gestures to the Cornucopia, silently telling her ally to head in that direction. They need weapons and they need supplies, before the Careers steal everything. Dahlia nods in reply.

20...

Dahlia bends her right leg, preparing herself to run while planning her path. Grab the bag lying in eyesight, pick up the belt of knives further along and then collect her swords.

10...

Focus, Dahlia.

9...

Breathe in.

8...

Breathe out.

7...

Don't die.

6...

Fight for mother.

5...

Fight for Lavender.

4...

Fight for Rosie.

3...

Fight for yourself.

2...

Run for your life.

1.

The Black Dahlia is unleashed in the arena. Her small but strong legs move quicker than the tributes around her. The bag is snatched up first, Dahlia barely stopping as she grips it tightly. The ground is rocky and uneven, causing many tributes to stumble in their sprint. Next, she seizes the belt of knives lying against a stalagmite, not daring to pause in her stride. Her lungs start to burn and her legs scream in agony but she keeps pushing. She can't stop. Her dark eyes narrow in on her final item. The swords.