𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑶𝒍𝒅, 𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑵𝒆𝒘

After the gruelling preparations she was forced to undergo in the Capitol, Dahlia never thought she could actually enjoy the process of getting dressed up for a big occasion

After the gruelling preparations she was forced to undergo in the Capitol, Dahlia never thought she could actually enjoy the process of getting dressed up for a big occasion. But she was happy to be proven wrong. With Annie hovering near her like a bee buzzing around a flower and Katniss attempting to reign in Effie's enthusiastic suggestions, Dahlia was sure she had never smiled so much in her life.

This joy only grew once she finally slipped into the dress she had chosen, her excitement bubbling inside her body as the smooth fabric glided over her skin. The silver underskirt shimmered like the surface of water when it was hit by the sunlight, the layers of sea-green material flowing above it reminding Dahlia of Finnick's tales from District Four. A strip of darker green cinched the skirt in at the waist, connecting to the straps which were cut in a very deep V-shape. Sewn into the top was a netting-like shawl with beads and pearls draping down her arms and along the neckline. It was District Four captured in a dress and Dahlia had never felt so beautiful.

The wedding dress also served as the 'something borrowed' part of her mother's tradition and Dahlia had lost count of the amount of times she had thanked Katniss for letting her wear such an exquisite piece. But the Mockingjay was just glad to see the once broken girl look so alive. The two had grown closer in the last weeks than they could've ever imagined. It was amazing how friendships could bloom when they were taken out of the hostile darkness of the Capitol.

Annie was also delighted to play a role in the wedding of her two closest friends, passing on another item to be used for the tradition. "Your something old." She had declared cheerfully, securing a piece of jewellery around the girl's neck. Only once the pendant had settled on her chest did Dahlia realise what it was.

The golden dahlia necklace that had been through three Hunger Games, worn by Cove, Lavender and Finnick as they faced a battle for their lives. Two of them had failed, one had lost his love. But he found her again. The necklace that Dahlia had once assumed to be cursed with bad luck had kept her Finnick alive during his darkest time. It was a turning point for all of them. A fresh start. To a new life filled with luck and love. Annie had even polished the tarnished metal to ensure it was restored to its original golden sheen for the big day. Dahlia made sure to hug her even tighter for that.

Finnick's gift was a perfect addition to the look as her something blue. The woven bracelet sat neatly on her wrist as a reminder of the prosperous future ahead of them. But still, she was missing a something new. Dahlia didn't even know where to begin looking for an object to fit that description. She wasn't used to having new things when she was growing up. Then once she won the Games, most of her possessions were either provided by the Capitol or stolen from the homes of rich men. And District Thirteen certainly didn't offer much inspiration. She had to accept that she wouldn't be able to fulfil every detail of her family's tradition.

"Knock, knock." A male voice called out into the empty room as the door was cracked open. Dahlia spun around to find Haymitch nervously edging his way through the gap with one hand firmly placed over his eyes. "Are you decent?"